• Register Today It's free!

Dual exhaust system for 97 5.0

Jester1994

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Sport
I currently havea dual inelt single outlet flowmaster exhaust system (delta 50) on my 97 5.0L AWD X. I found this forum after I got this system installed on my X and now I want a full dual exhaust system with jsut 2 high flows cats instead of the stock 4!!! :mad: Anyone put a total dual system on their X and get rid of the stock cats, or anything that would be better than just the single flowmaster system on there now?

Any comments wanted! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It can be done, but it is a real custom pipe job to get around the spare tire. If you have a good local muffler shop, your best bet is to ask them. They can give you all the info you need.

Robb

i have a '96 5.0, and i just cut off the two rear cats, muffler, and resinator... So i'm still running two cats and that's all, pretty loud.

explorer4x4, you dont havea problem with rough engine idle or horrible gas mileage? I'm yet to find the o2 sensor, but wouldn't removing the back to have an impact and cause it to read wrong?

I'm interested in a complete system also.. maybe not now.. but in the future.. total duals.. stainless.. I dont care if the pipes exit on the same side, infact I'd prefer it, less piping, I want my exhaust so you cant even see the pipes.. just hear em :)

any such product would be worth looking into I'd say

The pipe bending job isnt that hard if the person knows what they are doing. I had my dual exhaust done in about 3 hours. Removal of the old system, making all the pipes, installing them, the flowmaster and stainless tips. Everything was welded and is, IMO, a quality job.

Look into a 3 or 3.5" single exhaust system. I made a custom 3.5" system for my Ranger V8 and it sounds absolutely great. I would not trade it for anything. Plus, it runs in the same path a factory, just bigger. You don't have to worry about getting anything to hot or hitting anything when you go over bumps, etc..

Just a though...

tmsoko,
Did you notice any loss or gain in performance with a 3" exhaust?

I have lost some bottom end torque, but I hope to gain back with some other mods (in the planning stages) and a custom chip burn. I really anticipate alot from the chip burn, as I had the cam position sensor hooked up wrong initially, and the truck would chip the tires with a blip of the throttle at stop signs. It was running in bank fire and th timing obviously advanced much more than stock.

The exhaust flow is great for high end and will be great for future mods as well. The 3.5" exhaust I have flows equal to dual 2.5", so if you go with a 3", you will be somewhere in the flow range of dual 2.25".

Back