Dual Moon Roof, worth it? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Moon Roof, worth it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it is the dual-panel moonroof. The headliner gets swapped out with the install.

I was quoted $1595 for the moonroof, which is what is listed on Ford's site when you build your own vehicle. Since it is much easier to install at the factory I am not balking at that price, if that really is the price. It is supposed to be exactly like the factory install. The dealer is currently overwhelmed with a large supply of hail damaged cars and have put me on the back burner so to speak while they are dealing with that situation. As soon as the installation is complete I will post before and after pics.

I would double check that that... One dealer offered to install the moon roof on an Ex. on the lot just so they can sell it. Claimed it was exactly the same as the factory ones. When I asked if it would be dual pane, he said, "No, that's only available from the factory." SHADY!

The dealer has an outside contractor do the install and guarantees the install for the life of the vehicle no matter who owns it. Not much more to ask for.

Make sure that the dealer is guaranteeing more than the moon-roof. Make sure that what they are guaranteeing is to also fix and repair any consequential damages resulting from the defective moon-roof.

AND

get it in writing.

For example, if the roof leaks, they will fix the moon roof, but will they also cover the subsequent damage the leaking water causes?

Many products are "gauranteed" for life, but limited to only replacement or repair of the product and not the consequential damages they cause. My wife and I found this out the hard way when a dishwasher leaked repeatedly on new hardwood flooring. They replaced the dishwasher, but not the hardwood.

-J

Yes, it is the dual-panel moonroof. The headliner gets swapped out with the install.

Pictures!

....or this isn't real....

I was told the dual pane moon roof was a factory install only. If not, how do they deal with the air vents currently where the moon roof would go?

There is no way in h$@ll that I would let anyone outside the factory install the dual panel moon roof! You are begging for trouble!

Hope your leasing and not buying.

Totally worth it. I wish the rear opened also, but I will live...

I was quoted $1595 for the moonroof, which is what is listed on Ford's site when you build your own vehicle. Since it is much easier to install at the factory I am not balking at that price, if that really is the price. It is supposed to be exactly like the factory install. The dealer is currently overwhelmed with a large supply of hail damaged cars and have put me on the back burner so to speak while they are dealing with that situation. As soon as the installation is complete I will post before and after pics.

Well, did you get the dealer installed moonroof? If so, what do you think? Is it the dual panel? Pics?

I also ordered without and am now regretting it.

Go factory with the dual panel, well worth it

Definitely. It was a major selling point on our test-drives; the kids loved it!

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this post but we waited for the moonroof installation because of finances. As our financial situation improved we found ourselves at the dealership getting an F150 and the moonroof for the explorer came up. Kappaknight and TripFoeYa, you were both correct. The moonroof is factory install only. We did not even buy from the salseman that told us it was available through the dealer as he was, shall we say, quick with the tongue. But that is another story. We ended up trading in for a Limited that had the factory vista moonroof. I am glad we waited. What you guys said on here made me hesitate and think. We would have ended up with an aftermarket single panel moonroof and while that is not such a bad thing, it is not what we wanted or what we were told we could get. Thanks everyone for your input.

When we were shopping limited's at the dealer everyone single one had a double moonroof - the salemen were telling us how it was such a great feature...

For Arizona - I think not...

I told them they were morons if they thought they had any chance of convincing me of this. Most of my friends here feel the same way, but salesmen are salemen - sell what you've got. I have no idea why they order them all packaged this way.

I need my head baking from this thing all summer long about as much as I need a hole in it.

The salemen of course informed me that I can use the internal shade to keep the sun off ... right, sure the perforated shade will work just fine for that...

I'm sure its fine in places where it doesn't get so hot - but in the max sun belt region - I don't think its a good chioce at all.

Besides I had a regular sized moon roof in my previous expedition (with a full sliding internal cover) and used it a total of about 3 times in about 8 years... The cost/utility trade-off is just way out of whack for me - even if the heat issues didn't make it a non-starter.

We ordered a limited without.

Alan

The salemen of course infromed me that I can use the internal shade to keep the sun off ... right, sure the perforated shade will work just fine for that... Alan

Huh? All the shades I saw were of the solid sliding type, not perforated. Where did you see the perforated type, on an Explorer?

http://youtu.be/5-ag8CG4pok

Back