dutch troubles

barnieman

Reaction score
City, State
Den Haag, The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Here's a problem from The Netherlands.
I'm driving my 1997 Explorer for 6 months now. I'm having some problems with it. And as I'm reading through all those threads I also have lots of information gathered that should solve most of them.
1. explorer sometimes won't start: it cranks, but doesn't start. The first time this happens, I had the explorer towed at the garage, and they had a hard time finding the cause. Actually, they never found it, because suddenly it started again, and I had to pay lots of money. But thanks to this website, I found out it should be the crankshaft position sensor. The last time my explorer did not start (it was my birthday), I unplugged the CPS-connector, and replugged it again, and the engine started immediately.
2. OD light starts flashing after about 3 hours driving. Not a real problem: it goes away after two days. I guess it is just an overheating transmission.
3. explorer sometimes has trouble with idle. When I'm waiting for a red traffic light (and there are a lot of them here in the Netherlands), I sometimes have to put it in neutral and step on the gas, to keep it running. This happens once or twice a week.
4. explorer starts only for the second time. When I start the cold engine, it runs for a second, then stops. Starting the engine again, the RPM goes to 1500, then drops back to the expected 7 - 800 RPM. I think it is the idle air valve that is problematic.
5. the CEL regulary goes on, and the next day goes off again. I checked the code, it is P1151 (lean mixture bank 2). When I check the freezed-frame-information, the fuel trim for bank 2 is always 42.2%, which is, as far as I know, very high. However, the long term fuel trim for both banks are around 0 %. I have this code once every week or so.
6. After an hour of driving 120 km/h, when I reduce speed for some traffic work, and then again accelerate, the engine doesn't seem to respond. I have to release the gas-pedal and step on it again, to get the engine (or tranny) to accelerate.

So... anyone who knows the cause of all these trouble? I had a hard time convincing my wife to buy this beautiful Explorer, although it's high price (taxes and insurance are 200$ per month), it's bad mileage (7.5 km / liter, 17.5 u.s. mpg), and I can live with all these troubles, but it would be nice when the car is reliable and no more lights start to flash / turn on...

The lean code can be the result of many things. FPR (although it usually makes an engine go rich), bad O2 sensors can cause a lean condition.

I would look into the following items first. They are cheapest possible problem areas.
1. check all vacuum lines for cracks or lines that may have fallen off.
2. spark plug wires and spark plugs (replace all wires and plugs, might as well do it).
3. replace fuel filter and air filter
4. idle air valve (you mentioned this)
5. the starter or ignition
6. Fuel pressure regulator. (not quite as cheap, but may be your problem)
7. O2 sensors. (not cheap, but may be your problem)

Re: the OD light. I do not know about that issue. 2nd gen experts, chime in.

Back