DVD Headrest and other options questions | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DVD Headrest and other options questions

2011 my Mine took alot longer for the dealers guys to install. They were aftermarket installers. Grand kids love the factory setup, nice and clean with wireless headphones, plus each can watch different or the same DVDs. Factory setup means factory warranty, at least 3 yrs, 36K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Factory Installed DVD in Headrest - 2013

Hi All,

I think this has been covered but I tried searching and couldn't find it. Plus I know I can just call the dealership however I'm trying to make more friends here...lol

As per my previous post I just picked up my 2013 Limited last week and we passed on the DVD option. But having 3 kids we need the dvd's. Saying this, the dealer we went to is a friend of the family and is giving us a deal on installing original OEM Dvd in the headrest at a lesser cost then the factory option. He assured my it will be exactly like factory ordered.

So now here's my million dollar question - I've been reading alot about how the DVD does not run through the My Touch display.
Where are the actual DVDs loaded?
How is the volume controlled and do they come out of the speakers?
Are they speaker or headphone?

We previously had a Dodge Grand Caravan and everything was controlled in the front through the radio controls.

We never actually looked a vehicle in the showroom with the DVD's installed

Sorry for the long winded message.

Hi All,

I think this has been covered but I tried searching and couldn't find it. Plus I know I can just call the dealership however I'm trying to make more friends here...lol

As per my previous post I just picked up my 2013 Limited last week and we passed on the DVD option. But having 3 kids we need the dvd's. Saying this, the dealer we went to is a friend of the family and is giving us a deal on installing original OEM Dvd in the headrest at a lesser cost then the factory option. He assured my it will be exactly like factory ordered.

So now here's my million dollar question - I've been reading alot about how the DVD does not run through the My Touch display.

We previously had a Dodge Grand Caravan and everything was controlled in the front through the radio controls.

Here is but one of several threads on the topic;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317983&highlight=headrests

I did an Advanced Search on "Headrests" in the 2013 Disscussion forum and several threads came up.
Good luck.

Peter

Hi All,

DVDs are slot loaded from the top of the headrest, just behind the screen (there's more than enough headroom). The Explorer needs to be on - doesn't seem to work on accessory mode. All sound is routed through the supplied headphones and thus volume is controlled by the headphones, (each pair can be routed to either screen via a switch on the headphones). Each screen also has it's own remote as well. I've not tried routing external video into these yet - but should be able to do so via the USB. I've read a thread somewhere where a person has used an iPad or iPhone to do this, but I've not got the details. Sorry, but haven't tried everything out yet.

DVDs are slot loaded from the top of the headrest, just behind the screen (there's more than enough headroom). The Explorer needs to be on - doesn't seem to work on accessory mode. All sound is routed through the supplied headphones and thus volume is controlled by the headphones, (each pair can be routed to either screen via a switch on the headphones). Each screen also has it's own remote as well. I've not tried routing external video into these yet - but should be able to do so via the USB. I've read a thread somewhere where a person has used an iPad or iPhone to do this, but I've not got the details. Sorry, but haven't tried everything out yet.

Thanks Peter

Hey Taz, are you telling me the only volume option is through the headphones? I have really young kids and that isn't an option for me

I have it. Each one can be viewed independent of each other. Mine is set as Monitor A is the drivers headrest, Monitor B is the passenger headrest. You can also play video games on them as well. They flip forward a little bit towards the person in the backset but be careful if the kids are older, but too young to realize if they pull too hard on screen they could break it.

They each have their own headphones so each person can watch their own movie.

However, Monitor A must be on in order for the sound to come through the radio. You go to Monitor B and press it to "Monitor A" and that's how you get the same movie on both headrests. The DVDs load at the top.

To start the movie, the car must be on. However, when you stop, the movie will still play in accessory mode (at least that is how my car is).

What I don't like about it is that you can't turn it on from the drivers seat, you have to turn it on and load from the back.

Because it's the OEM, and mine was installed by the dealer, it's on the 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty.

Don't regret it buying it.

Don't let the term "OEM" fool you. It's not a Ford branded system and doesn't integrate with MFT at all. There are much better aftermarket systems for less money. Since you have young kids, you should get one that has speakers built in.

I too have dealer installed oem. They are however invision dvd players. You can play the same or different videos on them. They can be heard from the included headphones(2 included more can be ordered from ford), also from fm radio, although the sound quality is not good. Each also has an outlet for earbuds but the headphone will not work when used.They also have their own remote, but you have to point it at the player(cannot be used from front seat without reaching around headrest. They are pretty good quality but are rather expensive and comparable ones can probably be had somewhere else a lot cheaper.

Thanks Peter

Hey Taz, are you telling me the only volume option is through the headphones? I have really young kids and that isn't an option for me

So far as I can tell, there's no way you can control the headphone volume except possibly with wired headphones plugged into the jack as someone else has suggested (I've not tried this, so cannot validate - will try to look more in depth tomorrow and get back to you if I find any further details). This is my first vehicle equipped with this option, so I really didn't know all of the ins-and-outs. I wouldn't say it's particularly well integrated, but functions sufficiently for my kids. I'd say it's too bad they didn't make it possible to control it via MFT and the front screen, let alone have better integration so that one could possibly use an iPod/Pad/Phone as a entertainment "server".

If your kids are too young to use a remote then its a hassle for you as each player has a remote.

My kids tell me when they plug in a wired set of headphones to the 3.5mm stereo jack on the DVD player they CANT control the volume so check that out yourself.

Also make sure you register your OEM set with Invision.

www.invisionautomotive.com

Just something to watch for if you get a set of OEM Ford Invision LT Series make sure it has a USB on the front or they are selling you the old version, which iid fine as long as its being discounted.

That's funny I was looking through this forum and the same thing just happened to me.Kinda pissed me off when I thought I was getting a good deal on factory headrest.That could of been the deal breaker in buying the vehicle.I could of ordered the stupid headrests myself for 1200 bucks installed and they come to your house.Instead the dealer made 400 off me.Kinda crappy way to make money off you.I would assume Ford wouldn't like dealers putting after market crap in a brand new vehicle.At least the dealer should let u know that there not stock.Cant wait to get that Ford survey and give it to that dealer.Its only been a week and rosen is coming to my house to swap out with the correct ones.Just to warn people you want headrest DVDs call yourself and save some money.

Does anybody else keep seeing the word "pizza" in this thread? Is this an April Fool's thing?

its in all of threads from my end

Advent DVD Headrests from Dealer - Sounds Other than headphones?

Can anyone with Advent DVD players let me know if there is any other way to listen to the DVD players aside from headphones (wired or wireless that came with them) or the car stereo through FM channel?

Do the DVD players play sound on their own? there appears to be a speaker behind the screen.

I have a 2 year old and he doesnt quite grasp leaving headphones on his head and it's impossible to reach him in the back seat while driving. so he ends up getting pissed he cant hear haha.

Can anyone let me know if there is a setting to play sound from the DVD headrest players??

Might have to resort to the car stereo sound but then no radio for mommy/daddy...

Most likely not, I have the Audiovox OEM units in mine and sound only plays through the wireless ir headphones, fm modulator, or wired headphones. What you could do is buy a cheap external speaker with a 3.5mm input connection and coonect it to the wired headphone output on the monitor. Like one of those sound bullets they show on tv.

Most likely not, I have the Audiovox OEM units in mine and sound only plays through the wireless ir headphones, fm modulator, or wired headphones. What you could do is buy a cheap external speaker with a 3.5mm input connection and coonect it to the wired headphone output on the monitor. Like one of those sound bullets they show on tv.

That's not a bad idea. thanks for the suggestion. I figured they didnt play external sound but thought I'd check just to see if I was doing something wrong. I saw the volume controls on the remotes that came for the DVD players but read in the book it was just for controlling the sound for wired headphones. wasnt sure if there was a way to turn on sound externally. thanks again for the idea about plugging in an external speaker.

Can anyone with Advent DVD players let me know if there is any other way to listen to the DVD players aside from headphones (wired or wireless that came with them) or the car stereo through FM channel?

Do the DVD players play sound on their own? there appears to be a speaker behind the screen.

I have a 2 year old and he doesnt quite grasp leaving headphones on his head and it's impossible to reach him in the back seat while driving. so he ends up getting pissed he cant hear haha.

Can anyone let me know if there is a setting to play sound from the DVD headrest players??

Might have to resort to the car stereo sound but then no radio for mommy/daddy...

I have them in my wife's Acadia Denali, they do not play external audio without adding and external speaker through the headphone jack or 2.4GHZ wireless speakers.

Hope you didnt pay more then $1100.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 Ex headrests

hi all, just upgraded from a 13 explorer to a 14 explorer. got every option i need except rear entertainment. i bought a set of onfair dream dvd headrests and hate them, so looking at the OEM route.

i found a set of 2014 ford flex invision dvd headrests on ebay for less than half of retail, my question is will they fit my explorer. im sure someone here is familiar with or is able to be hands on with both vehicles to know/see if the headrests are interchangable with each other.

thanks in advance everyone!

Back