DVD/LCD Screen.Has anyone tried this?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DVD/LCD Screen.Has anyone tried this??

Daps

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I guess I may be cheap but has anyone bought a cheap DVD player from like walmart and one of those LCD screens from ebay and wired it into their X?
If so how and where did you mount it? Did you run the audio through your radio?

I was thinking about getting a dvd player($60) and LCD from ebay($80) so thats about $140+- vs $500

I thought about taking the Playstation2 but sure my bro wouldnt like not being able to play games at home.
Thus the cheap DVD from walmart

I would do the hook up myself as that wouldnt be too hard.

Just curious
Dwyane

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm gonna do about that, but with a little nicer screen (about a 150 dollar ebay one) and a NES system and a a used ps2 later this winter.

What size screen are you looking @? I was looking at the 5.6"

Where do you plan on mounting the LCD?

I'm trying to debate where to mount the screen. wouldnt mind doing some type of flip mount from the roof but I have a sunroof and not sure Id have enough real estate.

Was just brain storming for a project to do over the cold months.

i'm going to cut up my center console (the piece in front of the ashtray) and mount it there. i'm tryin to get a screen that is a little closer to 7 inches wide.

How do you plan on powering your PS2/NES?
Power inverter to cig lighter or some other wiring system?

EXPO 5.0

You thinking about somthing like this?

EXVideo.jpg

Yup :) Did you build the console yourself or did you buy it someplace?
I have an idea of what I want to do, don't have alot of money to spend but fig a lcd of ebay and a dvd player(they got a small one) from walmart($60) mounted under the seat.
I'm research now but think I can get what I want done for about $200 installing myself.

Any tips,advice would be welcomed. Will be my thanksgiving weekend project. Hope to post pictures

for 300 bucks i'll sell you my tv.... it's a 7 in Audiobahn with remote, pedestal, and stand, it is 2 days old and i have no use for it anymore... i'll throw in a second 8 in tv for free, all it needs is a universal s-video cable for it, y the way, the brand is visonik....shipping is included with the price.. email for pics..
modern_image@hotmail.com

Have another question for you guys
I seen some screens that looks like I can wire them in to fuse box to give them power and some that have a cig adapter on them.I want the wire to hook in the fuse box type so thats no problem question about sound.
I have the stock HU(tape/Cd/no changer) I'm guessing I'll need some type of adapter to wire into my radio that will take a audio in from the dvd player/or game system I'm going to mount. Is a FM modulator what I need to play it through my existing radio? anyone know how how to get the radio out in an 2000 Ex XLS? Anyone know the color codes for the radio wires? Info or link
Also how much and were could I buy an FM Modulator?
I know the sound quality isnt the best but like I said trying to save money and not sure I'll even like having it in there so I dont want to be out of a lot of $$ until I install my booming system next summer
thanks.
Dwyane

try www.partsexpress.com for screens, modulators and anything else you are looking for
They are a good company and have lots of stuff

Chris

As far as the dvd player that you want to get it wont work. The home ones cant handle any bumps they skip like a ****. I tried it and it doesnt work well...it works but like i said it skips way to much. Just buy those dvd/vcd/mp3/cd players you see on ebay. Pyle, Audiovox, and a few others make these and they get the job done. I have had mine for a year now and i have no problems with it. You can even hook it up in your house if you want. Plus they are small. I got mine for 161$ shipped.

I saw those ebay and wondered about them. They seem to be smaller and maybe even fit in my center console. I'll give them a look thanks

is this what you are talking about

Dead Link Removed

or

Dead Link Removed

or neither

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

those are like the ones im talking bout. I cant believe how cheap they are now they are worth it mine is still going strong and its 1 year old. I have used both the pyle and audio. I know the blau one is good though they are the first ones that came out with these things and everyone else just began to follow. That legacy one you showed me will work to good seller also.

Think the legacy is the one I'm going to go with.
Now I just have to find a place to mount my LCD I plan on getting as I don't have the full console. Going to take a look at maybe some place on the dash, floor or maybe the front of the console i have now mounted with the dash stand and angle it

oreokid, i love that set up! some day down the road (its a very long road) i want to have lcds in the visors like that, but in the seat backs too. that'd be sooooo sweet

awesome, that'll be sweet.

Back