Dyno's and AWD

EMStaxi

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
Question...Has anyone with an AWD Explorer or Mountaineer been able to have their truck put on a Dyno machine to have it tested? If these Dyno shops can accomodate AWD, does anyone know of any in the New Jersey New York area?

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8
K&N Airfilter-Modified Airbox with homemade Ram Air

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was reading an article in Sport Compact Car and they said there was only 1 public available all wheel drive dyno in the U.S. and it was in the West. I'm not sure how acruate thatt is, but all the Dyno's in Arizona are all rear wheel drive only.

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

I don't know were any are. When I had mine inspected here in NY they couldn't put it on the dyno because of the controll trac. If you really want it dynoed remove the front drive shaft. That sould solve the problem.

------------------
Keith Van Sise
97 Sport
JBA Headers Borla Cat-Back
KKM Intake 31X10.5 BFG AT's
Alpine deck Alpine Amp
JL 10's R.F. 5X7's
Hella 500's Brush Guard

Removing the driveshaft probably will not work. As soon as the rear wheels start spinning faster than the front the Control-Trac will engage and remove power from the rear and put it to the front drive shaft that was removed, resulting in no wheels turning. At least that is my understanding of the Control-Trac system.

------------------
Mac
1998 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4

I don't know if you are as hell bent on getting things done as I am. I think if the control track is electronic it can be disabled. If not I'm sure there is a way to do it mechanically. Call ford and ask them if there is a way to disable this Control trac , or look in your manual. Look in the Ford electronics book (sold at ford dealer shops) it could just be a simple fuse that makes it work. Its going to take some digging but I just looked back at your mods and I think unless you have displayed all of your modifications take the manufactures word for it.
Me personally I'm waiting to add some real power mods like electric fan, off road cam, new injectors and maybe 3 angle valve job. That is when You want to really know what all of your work was for.
Beware when and if you do get it dynoed and it is about 20% below manufacturer listings don't go cryin. You lose about 20% through the drive train (not uncommon) nothing is purely eficient especially in mechanics. 20% is kind of an out of the sky number but I do know you lose a significant amount of power throught the drive train. make sure you turn off the a/c or you will piss in you pants when you get the results.
Please post your results one with the a/c on and one with it off.

Good Luck,

Clayton Burris

I don't know if you are as hell bent on getting things done as I am. I think if the control track is electronic it can be disabled. If not I'm sure there is a way to do it mechanically. Call ford and ask them if there is a way to disable this Control trac , or look in your manual. Look in the Ford electronics book (sold at ford dealer shops) it could just be a simple fuse that makes it work. Its going to take some digging but I just looked back at your mods and I think unless you have displayed all of your modifications take the manufactures word for it.
Me personally I'm waiting to add some real power mods like electric fan, off road cam, new injectors and maybe 3 angle valve job. That is when You want to really know what all of your work was for.
Beware when and if you do get it dynoed and it is about 20% below manufacturer listings don't go cryin. You lose about 20% through the drive train (not uncommon) nothing is purely eficient especially in mechanics. 20% is kind of an out of the sky number but I do know you lose a significant amount of power throught the drive train. make sure you turn off the a/c or you will piss in you pants when you get the results.
Please post your results one with the a/c on and one with it off.

Good Luck,

Clayton Burris

I just figured out that it took knowledge of physics to figure out power output. This is really time consuming and it take a little dedication. Ask a college professor of physics to help you out, he will make you help him but it will be a good learning experience. Trust me I know there is a way to calculate it with some work. Rpm, ratios and acceleration are all factors that can help him calculate it. Being in New York I hope you have as good of professors as we do here in Louisiana. A good teacher would love this challenge and a challenge it is.

Good Luck,
Clayton Burris

Back