Easy way to access transmission fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy way to access transmission fluid

HISSIN50

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 MM
Hello,

2003 Mounty, 4.0L. 2WD

I was trying to think of an easy way to access the transmission fluid (to add Lubeguard). Other than the access plug on the pan or removing a line to the heat exchanger (radiator), is there any other way?

On a related note, has anyone retrofitted a dipstick?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello.............. elllo.....................oh. :)

Please feel free to even simply say that you can't think of any [other] access points. A little group consensus would be very welcome. Otherwise I'll open the system and then a bit later someone will pop on here and post about an easy access point through a vent in the trans (or something equally enticing). :D

There is no other access methods than the two you described. If you are going to access the plug from the bottom be careful not to strip it the center piece. I live in the rust belt and mine stripped (common problem). Had to purchase a drain & plug for mine was able to get one for around $9.00

Are you adding the lubegard because of transmission issues?

Some units have a fill plug on the right hand side. Sensor hole is another option.

Tap into the overfill tubing on the top of the transmission.

Attachments

• 5r55nfill3.JPG
    5r55nfill3.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,795

Thank you for the replies gents!
I'll shoot for a sensor or overfill tube - it would just be easier.

I'll shoot for a sensor or overfill tube - it would just be easier.

you need to be elastic man or a contortionist to access that hole, even then I don't think you have space to work on that area. keep us updated if you do. even monkeys could design a better way to service this transmission (stupid design from ford)

you need to be elastic man or a contortionist to access that hole, even then I don't think you have space to work on that area. keep us updated if you do. even monkeys could design a better way to service this transmission (stupid design from ford)

I figured as much or people would be adding fluid through another port when topping off. It's worth a shot and was worth asking however (this isn't my car and I don't have a lot of access to it).

You could be onto something with the statement about monkeys. They're flexible, slender and have very long arms - they can probably reach those access points. :)

I would advise using this type of pump and dumping the fluid into a bucket or something you can just hold the pump in while pumping it into the trans.
pump.jpg

You can find those at harbor freight or whatever auto parts store you shop at.
and picking up this adapter:
hosenipple.gif

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit--brass-male-pipe-to-hose-npt--P011_332_001_004
It will make adding the fluid much easier, you'll need the 1/8 to 5/16 piece.

We have a pump like that it just screws into each quart bottle. And the OTC adapter. "We like to pomp you up"

Back