Eatc | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Eatc

American vehicles built in the 90s (and possibly even later) have an almost impossible mix of metric and standard (imperial for you) threads. If you really want to maintain this thing yourself, you need both sets. Having said that, your 8mm wrench (or should I say spanner?) will be just 0.06mm oversize pretending it's a 5/16. Good luck! And don't forget to put petrol in the tank...

The ac clutch looks a bit wobbly, I tried to do something about it yesterday but I don't have a 5/16 (?) spanner or socket, I'll have to buy one, now that I have transportation.
We've been metric around here for a long time.

I think the belt only broke when I tried to run the ac for the windshield demister, I mean defroster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I already tried the 8mm, it's too big.
I'm sure I've got a 5/16 open end/ring spanner somewhere, I think I got it to for the brake pipes on a past car.

I've noticed the eclectic mix of sizes, I've got most of the SAE sizes just not the tiny ones.
I've got tiny metrics though. And torx.

My Mondeo (Contour) has odd metric sizes, like 16mm and 18mm. Bloody Belgians.

Out of curiosity, I put both 5/16" and 8mm sockets to the center bolt of my A/C clutch, and they both fit - couldn't tell the difference. Either the bolt on my '98 is different from your '96, or your bolt has been rounded by previous owner's abuse. Good luck!

I already tried the 8mm, it's too big.
I'm sure I've got a 5/16 open end/ring spanner somewhere, I think I got it to for the brake pipes on a past car.

It could also be a different compressor or clutch, different parts used in exported models.

I'm not absolutely sure of the size, it looks smaller than 8mm, a size I'm very familiar with.
7mm doesn't fit either.

I'm not going to use a shifting spanner, crescent wrench to you, they never work properly on small bolts.

Ironically the reason I'm not out there right now fixing it is because it's raining; and I want it fixed because it's raining.
I have to wait for it to stop raining so I can fix it then I won't need it (so much) anymore.

Ok, now that I'm sober I can tell you that the bolt IS 8mm/ 5/16.

And now that I'm drunk again i can report that the 8mm bolt came of the spare AC pump easily but the one on the car is a bit rounded which is why I thought it was smaller than 8mm.
I'm having a ******* of a time getting it off.

Ok, got the bolt off. I had to use a metric cold chisel to drift the bolt around until it was finger loose.

What a disaster in there! This must have been like this for a long time. The pulley hub had broken off from the bearing boss and was spinning around.

Now i have to find my circlip pliers to take the circlip, I mean snap ring, off.

There's no room in there for these hands.

Back