Eaton Supercharger | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Eaton Supercharger

I would go with the M90 or M62 blower rather than the 112. Either will fit a whole lot better, and are more suited to the characteristics of the 4.0 engines, especially their RPM ranges. The larger "V8" blowers tend to have less performance at higher rpms and could possibly get damaged due to the SOHCs higher redline. Plus, I don't know if it could clear the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanx Alec,
The hood clearence thing was my first concern, but you are probably right about the performance problems. So I guess now I should ask if you know anywone that has gone through with the M90 install so that I could get some help on what wil be needed (naimly the plenum). I see that you have the BBK kit on your Ex, are you happy with it (or anyone eles that has it for that matter)? I am wanting to get some pretty serious power gains (not just from the blower) and don't want to get just a "little" improvement from it. Also, what is the OHV's stock HP? I saw that you now have around 210, but how much of a gain was it from stock?
Anyway, I've wasted enough of your time rambling. Thax for the help.

There's a writeup on the M90 install on a SOHC at www.rangerpowersports.com . As for my BBK kit, I love it. I have about 210 to the wheels in the winter (200 in the summer), compared to about 120 to the wheels stock. The OHV ratings are 160 at the crank and about 120 at the wheels. I also have JBA headers, KN FIPK, BBK 66 TB, Magnaflow catback to name a few mods :rolleyes:

Thanx for your help. It sounds like you had some pretty good gains from the BBK. I checked out the SOHC install, and I think that guy is asking for trouble "toying" with detination. I'm trying to find out about the BBK kit for a '98...had to call BBK direct b/c apearently there is something up with putting it on a '98. Anyway, I'm trying...thanx again.

Greg

You'll have probs adapting the BBK kit to your SOHC. The plenum will have to be changed, as well as the fuel system and computer programming. I believe 98+ OHVs and SOHC have a returnless fuel system. Most blowers need a fuel return to bleed off excess fuel when boost pressure falls. So, you'll need to "downgrade" the fuel system to work with most blower setups.

Hmmmm.....Interesting....

I've been wondering what the problem was with doing this upgrade on the '98. It was starting to piss me off (especially sence i didn't get ahold of the guy at BBK). Thank you for straighting it out for me. Well, I'm going to keep trying to make this work, but I'm starting to think I might be better off building the twin turo like I had origionaly planned.

Greg

why not just buy a built 302 or a stroker anddo some:hammer: :hammer: :banghead: :hammer: :hammer: and probably save a bunch of money and time. It's just a suggestion, obviously it has its downsides as well, but it might end up being more cost efficient for the amount of go.

This is true, but my 4.0 has very low miles on it so I can't justify pulling it for any reason. Plus, I'm not big on big ;) I like taking smaller motors and spanking the bigger ones. My last project was a 2.0 4cylinder Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T. FWD Turbo, lots of mods, out ran the new C-5 vettes on a regular basis (no nitrous)...that's just fun :D

I'm a V8 killer :smoke:
V8's :shoot:

That's not to say that I won't do this some time down the road though....I have concidered it many times, but like I said can not justify it to myself.

Hey Godfather,
If you're looking for mad crazy power gains, then yes, a supercharger is the way to go. Eaton superchargers are the roots-type just in case you don't already know, and they have the mad crazy low end torquel, just ask Alec.
And yes, Alec's right, I called ZEX to see if they had a nitrous kit for my 99 OHV and they said that they don't because we have a returnless fuel system (how janky). But if you want that low end power of that roots-type, then the M90 is the way to go.
How much are you getting it for anyway? If you want be better in the high end (highway racing hehe) then vortech's centrifugal is probably a better choice. Also in the ranger forum at (dead link) do a search for a 4.0 SOHC M90 install on a ranger. I believe they have similiar engines, and this guy named Brian Mckelvey did the install himself for just under 2k. Oh wait, I think you already checked that out cause yes he was having trouble with detonation at first, but it was because he said he had some 89 octane fuel still left in the tank from previous fill up. From what I know, his install was great and everything's running flawless now. you could check out his website and he explains everything you need for the install. I myself, I decided to go with nitrous because I thought this supercharger build would cost me around $1500, but I'm having trouble finding someone to fab me a plenum, and worst part is, I'm not going to install it so that itself is going to cost way more than I intended. So I'm going to go with a bigger TB, bigger MAS, get my full exhaust sometime this week, a superchip clip chip if that group buy thing is still goin' on, and finally probably some NX nitrous cause I heard they are the best. I wanted ZEX, but I don't have a return fuel line. :eek:( Oh hey guys, I'm thinking about spraying 100... well I want to push it but I'm not sure if it'll hold. Maybe stay at 75 or so.. but Ireally want 100. You think a 4.0 OHV will hold that ****? :eek:
I'll just wait for BBK or some other company to come out with a kit especially made for my year and save up money meanwhile. Sorry for the long post.

it is all realitive to how fast you want to go and how much money you want to spend. i will do my best to help you guys out. i replied back to your email to day it is best if you call me. there a lot of guys running a nos setup on there ranger even the new one's with out returns and it would not be to hard to convert it over to a reture any ways.

I can help with the N2O situation :D (planning to do this too)

NX is definately the best on the market right now. The wet kit is the only way to go b/c no fuel adjustments are needed cuz it add it with the n2o through the same jet. NX sais that as long as you are not over using the spray (daily) then you can shoot about a 25 shot per cylinder...this means that you "should" be able to safely run a 150 shot. I'm only planning on a 100 shot to stay on the safe side, and from the looks of it you had the right idea too.

I saw the part about the detination going away as the gas got better, but he really should have been running higher octane BEFORE he did the instal...I've already started stepping mine up so that there will be no cheep gas left in it.

I have not found a good M90 yet :banghead: (I had found an M112 but obviously that's not going to cut it), and am not looking foward to doing the fab work when I do....but then again it's about 1/6 the fab work that I'd have to do for the turbos.:hammer: And I'm used to it anyway :D

Hey Godfather,
I can get an Eaton M90 off a GM brand new for about $500 bucks plus shipping. That's more than half off of what that Brian paid. It was basically made for the GM supercharged cars (GTP, Grand Prix, Park Avenue, etc.) and I was told it would fit with custom fabs of the plenum and intake tube, as mentioned before. But anyway, tell me if you're interested, and I'll give you that guy's contact information that's selling it.
And yes it will be a hell of a lot less work than the twin turbo set up, I believe.
Do you know anyone or anywhere to buy a nitrous kit for cheap? I don't care if it's used or what.. but I do prefer if it's NX. Hey what's the plan on your vehicle mod-wise? I mean, the finished stuff.. what you want it to run at the end? (Like Troll hehe, low 11's is DAMN impressive)

WOW 11's that is impressive...not sure about all that (would be nice though), but i am planning on putting it under pressure and on the bottle. I'm also wanting to do some internal work a little further down the road so that I can run a little higher boost/more spray. Obviously going to do an exhaust, already have a K&N drop in filter (want to change that when I do the SC), need a larger TB. Drop with sway bars, full brake upgrade (larger roters and 4 or 6 piston calipers). I'm trying to find some 19" racing wheels that will work on it.

I'll definately let you know about that M90 as soon as I find out what is needed to modify the fuel system so that it has a return. I've been told that the '98 does not have this and must to be able to use a blower. I have a friend that owns a machine shop that I'm going to try to have make my plenum. If anybody is interested in getting one (if he will do it) let me know and I should be able to get a really good price.

As far as nitrous...check eBay, I have found several NX kits on there in the past week at good prices, and in good shape (some new). :chug:

GOOD NEWS GUYS

My friend at Polk Performance is going to take a look at the plenum situation. If it can be done (in a profesional mannor...not "shadetree" work, and I think you guys know what I mean by that) we will do it. Not sure about cost, or even how many he will make avaliable, but I will let you all know as soon as I know more.

conveting the system to return is not that hard. if you let me know wether your truck has the same bottem intake as the older one then it is a simple swap but if not you need to do some welding. the plenium is not that hard to do.

I don't know what kind of intake the old one has so I really can't say weither it is the same.

Have you, or anyone else ever added the return set up? I called a friend that I used to work for, and he said it might be a pain in the ass but (as we always say) "anything is possible" (truely words to live by :D)

Blk Mk8, if you have any details about the procedure please email me about it so that I can figure out where I need to start.

Thanx
Greg

I think converting the fuel system is just a case of replacing the FPR and plumbing the return line back to the tank. It shouldn't be that difficult. I know a bunch of Ranger guys have done it with their 98+ OHVs.

Cool

I think I'm going to go visit my friend's shop this weekend so that we can look the system over really good before I start making plans on a corse of action. That is unless anyone has a definate way to do it, then I'll start buying parts tonight.

By the way, does anybody else think that the charger thay guy used on the ranger is an M62? The base didn't look like any of the M90's that I have been finding, but it looked just like every M62 that I have ever seen. (a plain rectangle shape with straight foward mounts, the M90's I've looked at were not rectangle and did not look like they would bolt up to that plenum)

I just got an email from Brian (the ranger guy that did the install), and I was right...and wrong. It's not an M90 as I suspected, but it is an MP90 4th gen of that series. If you are concidering doing this mod I seriously sugest emailing him as the information he sent me was VERY detailed and helpful. (not that he'll ever see this but....) THANX BRIAN :D I owe you one :chug:

If everything works out as planned I might be under pressure by the middle of January.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is the same procedure as it is when doing it to the new mustangs that is why i said something. you will need to either weld a return fitting on the rail and run a aftermarket regulator and run a line to the back to the tank. or you can buy the fuel rails from ford for the old setup, along with the regulator and the stock return lines and a stock older style pickup with return. it is not that big of a deal just a few minor custome thing are needed.

Back