EBay Billet Grilles - Yay or Nay?

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
Whattaya guys/gals think of the Billet Grilles being sold on ebay? Generally they're $25-$35 PLUS a rediculous $25-$30 Shipping w/Insurance. I figure, for $60, are they a decent buy? Anyone out there have one that they're happy, or not-so-happy, with? Also, i've noticed that some sellers specify that it is an actual REPLACEMENT grille, as opposed to an add-on to the existing grille. For the add-on versions, is it just pop it in and secure it wth some screws? I can't imagine having to replace the entire center section of the OEM grille. You're input is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Seek and ye' shall find!" Didn't think of doin' a search before i posted the above. I've searched and found that eBay isn't terrible, just as long as it IS Aluminum, and not plastic. However, looking at the ones on ebay right now, it looks as if there are little "L" brackets on the top and botto, that you screw (?) through. Anyone gotten one recently?

You get what you pay for is a good motto.

Billett Grille Ebay

I bought one for a 98 explorer. You have to cut out the existing grille piece and then drill to install the new one. It seems a bit flimsy, and I have not yet installed it. I am still deciding if I like it.

I bought one on e-bay a while ago, and the quality was really good. Really sturdy. You have to remove the entire grill assembly and cut out the original plastic grill assembly. A sawzall works best. The factory grill has molded, curved sections so you will not have a perfectly smooth edge once the cutting is done. I had to spray some black semi-gloss in the interior of the grill because I had scratches/white edges once the trimming was complete. The billet grill attaches with 4 screws which holes are drilled through the inner lip of the grill opening. Some type of clamps or a friend make it easier to line up the mounting hole so you can mark and drill. Took me about 1 hour to do it. The hardest part was getting the grill assembly back onto my X because the bottom grill clips were a ***** the snap back on without scratching the paint.

Hey if ur interested I have the ones like they sell on ebay. I had it on my X for bout two months, then I took it off. Its one of the grills that u have to cut the stock grill..If ur interested let me know.

DannyDynamite said:
Hey if ur interested I have the ones like they sell on ebay. I had it on my X for bout two months, then I took it off. Its one of the grills that u have to cut the stock grill..If ur interested let me know.

Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner...i'm tryin to find one that just zip-ties to the fatory grille w/o cutting - i'm not messin' around with the factory grille. Is there NO way to make it work WITHOUT cutting into the factory grille? Like cutting their "L" brackets off and then using nylon ties to the OEM grille? Let me know if you think it's possible, b/c i'd take it if the price is right.

I can't even find the ones that tye-wrap on anymore on ebay, all I've seen lately are the ones requiring cutting.

There are only the 25-bar grilles available with the tie straps - however, they're $80 as compared to the $50 (shipped).

I just bit the bullet and bought a "replacement" billet that i'm going to try to mod to make an overlay. If it doesn't seem easy, i'll make the required cuts, but being aluminum i figure i'll be able to snip off whatever i need to make it work.

I got one from seller: autoaccessory4u for less than $40 new.

Sounds good chris, make sure to post some pics when you get done, I'd like to see how it turns out.

I bought a grille from E-Bay and cut that instead of the factory grille. I saved the factory one just in case I didn't like mine. I got a billet grille from an on line store. I got chrome and wished I would have gotten SS.

BBQ - what did u use to trim the grille? From what i can tell from your avitar it looks like you kept it after the mod. What did u use to keep it on?

yeah..I would also like to know..mayb u can do a write up or something. thanks ahead.

Ant

I planned on getting one of the 25 bar ones on ebay. Does anyone have one of these and do you like it?

Laddy, check out Alphabets13, he has pics of what they look like, very good IMHO.

I have on e of those overlay grills from Ebay that secures with tie straps. I like mine as it gives the truck a more sporty, sleek look. Ive gotton several comments from people that they like the "new" grill. Its very easy to install. Only thing I dont like about it is that at you can see the original grill behind it. Im thinking of painting the original grill a flat black so that it is hidden behind the overlay. Otherwise, I like the grill.

That guy on ebay who sells the zip tie ones is Wee12. I've got one, top and bottom. There was no way in hell I was putting my sawzall to the factory grill.

Back