• Register Today It's free!

ECO mode - any difference?

Chevyguy

Reaction score
City, State
LOWER SACKVILLE, NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently took delivery of a 2022 XLT (love it, BTW). I've been getting to know all the features and I was wondering if anyone had any real world experience with the ECO drive mode. Pros, cons? Does it actually save fuel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used Eco mode on my ST a lot. To be honest, I really can't tell much if any difference from normal mode. Running Sport mode it is better using Eco.

I recently took delivery of a 2022 XLT (love it, BTW). I've been getting to know all the features and I was wondering if anyone had any real world experience with the ECO drive mode. Pros, cons? Does it actually save fuel?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I know that when I select "Conserve" in my Aviator I can definitely feel a difference in the engine response. The response/uptake to the accelerator is much slower. It is very noticeable when you change the mode as you are driving. It is much the same as changing to "Slippery" or whatever the Explorer calls it.

Peter

I've been using ECO mode on my '21 Explorer (V6 Platinum) almost exclusively. As Peter indicated the throttle response is muted vs Normal mode. I've noticed the AWD display indicating more power to the real wheels from a stop and almost none to the front wheels when crusing over 30 mph so I suspect there is improved miles per gallon in ECO mode. I perfer ECO mode and we've trained ourselves to select it before placing the vehicle in D drive. We've been driving the Explorer since September 2021.

ECO mode is supposed to lower the throttle response and shift points. By doing that you can get better gas mileage. I´d suggest you try it out. Try to drive at least a week in ECO then try Normal. Sport is for seldom occasions, I believe if you set it on Sport after you shut down the truck it goes back to Normal. I think all vehicles are like that. Sport mode would really strain the engine and transmission in the long run and because you get the worst fuel economy the manufacturer will prevent that it is used by mistake (stays on indefinitely).

Just to be clear...all modes will reset to "Normal" after shutdown. Reselect from Normal to the mode of your choice, including ECO mode after each and every subsequent start.

Back