• Register Today It's free!

Ecoboost Blown Turbo

'15 Sport Ecoboost

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Few months ago my waterpump failed (while driving without me knowing) and I drove it until I got the "Engine Coolant Overtemp" light on my dashboard. As soon as that came up I pulled into an auto body shop. Mechanic called me later to tell me I need a new water pump....$1500 later I thought I was good to go. 2 months later, driving on the highway and I notice I have no turbo power. Bring it into the shop, they check the front turbo and say its blown. Dealership tells them to cut the downpipes to check the rear turbo, that is also no good. I tell the mechanic I had the water pump issue a few months back and he mentions that when the engine was running hot, the turbo's were as well which most likely led to them both failing. Car's only got 60k miles on it, was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar with failing Turbo's this early in the lifespan of the explorer or if a failed water pump has led to any additional issues down the line? Hoping the warranty company doesnt say the turbo's failing was due to a pre-existing condition and refuse to cover it...

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
So it seems that you are past the powertrain warranty, being over 60k miles. Is the warranty you are talking about the OEM 5 year, 60k mile Powertrain Warranty or the Ford ESP Warranty?

Peter

I bought it used and purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty, which has already saved me on the water pump previously and now hopefully will save me on the turbo replacement

I have a 2014 Ex. Sport with <60,000 miles and was told today that one of the turbos is leaking oil and needs replacement. I'm not sure if that helps but I was surprised to hear that. I bought mine as a CPO and apparently this is covered under the warranty.

Back