• Register Today It's free!

ECU or ECM location

Razziel24

Reaction score
City, State
Guayaquil
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5 V6 Base
Hi, does anyone know where the ECU or ECM is located on the 2011+ Explorers ?
Any diagram showing how to access it ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Behind the cowl panel grille, next to the wiper motors. Only need to access it to swap it out, not reprogram.

Hi Riley, thanks for your reply, the tuner is asking me for some numbers written on the ECU, but I cant find it.

Hi Riley, thanks for your reply, the tuner is asking me for some numbers written on the ECU, but I cant find it.

The best way to get the calibration code is to connect a tuner device and read the strategy code that way. The actual stickers they used to use are only for the base calibration from the factory and not the latest update that a dealer might have done.

The thing is.... im overseas, and I need to send the numbers by email

Most people get sent a blank X3 tuner, when it arrives you use it to retrieve your calibration code and email it to whomever you bought it from. They will then write your tune based upon that code and email it back to you where you upload it into your tuner.

There really is no other way as newer Ford vehicles don't have any sticker codes on the outside anymore.

Where is the Explorer Sport ECU located and how easy to get to?

Just seeing if anybody can do a quick write up on how to view the ECU, if I can get the box code SCT can let us know if that vehicle is covered for programming.
I don't have one so I can't take it apart to see. In my Flex it was a PITA, hopefully it's easier on the Explorer.

Can anybody take a picture of the location, would be awesome so I can send potential customers that want to get programmed.

Just seeing if anybody can do a quick write up on how to view the ECU, if I can get the box code SCT can let us know if that vehicle is covered for programming.
I don't have one so I can't take it apart to see. In my Flex it was a PITA, hopefully it's easier on the Explorer.

Vehicles w/ MFT can get the ECU information from the diagnostics screen. Just FYI.

AHH, cool can you screen shot it so I can show people how to do it?

AHH, cool can you screen shot it so I can show people how to do it?

So after going out and checking the ECU Serial is available, but the strategy code is not, not sure if that's what you're looking for.

(sorry for the dusty screen, just returned from a long trip and haven't had a chance to clean it)
ecu%20serial.png

Yeah we need the strategy number or box code. :(
Looks like it will have to be eyes on the ECU in the engine.

Yeah we need the strategy number or box code. :(
Looks like it will have to be eyes on the ECU in the engine.

Why isn't this like other tuners where you plug in the blank tuner and gives you the serial and strategy code?

Why isn't this like other tuners where you plug in the blank tuner and gives you the serial and strategy code?

I'm trying to get the strategy before people order in case it's not covered, some of the 14's can't be programmed and I don't want people sitting on their new tuner while their strategy is being worked on.

Back