EEC IV question for the gurus.

savagefan

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, 2013 Sport
EEC IV question for the gurus. Solved.

Hello, on a 91 explorer could a tps be so bad that it can create a no-spark condition? If so how does it affect the PCM. Going bald on this one so all help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, TPS wouldn't effect Spark to that extent. Are you getting a TPS code from the self-tests?

No, koeo gave a tc override. KOER gave nothing. Wiggle test, nothing. Rapping on sensors, nothing until I hit the TPS lightly with the back of a screwdriver. It stumbled, I hit it hard and lost the spark. No spark now. Threw an 18 code (spout open) when it died. Dunno why, coincidence or buy a new TPS?

I would suspect coincidence. Double check the grounds to the ICM, PCM, engine block, and ignition coil to make sure they are good (I've seen bad grounds do funny things). Also check CKP and wiring between CKP and ICM.

So here it is SOLVED at last, bad connections at my ignition switch when it stayed dead for good I did some measurements and had about 10.5vdc at the coil pack koeo and 8.2 koec. New ig. switch and problem solved, hope this helps someone down the road.

Thanks for posting this information. Some vehicles had a recall for bad ignition switches. Find out if your model was one of them. In some cases, there were electrical fires on some models. I'm not sure which ones.

How would I find out?

Nothing on mine unless I'm reading it wrong, good link thanx.

Back