EGR Tube removal help.

bovine

Reaction score
City, State
Fort White FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer 4x4
This is kinda long warning.

Here is what is going on I got this explorer on Saturday and knew that it a couple issues but it was no problem one was a exhaust leak i found it to be the egr tube where it connects to the exhaust manifold so i went today and got one from a junkyard with a couple other things for less the $20 with the egr valve on it. well i get back home and try to take it off crescent wrench didn't work pipe wrench did work piece of hard wire on the pipe wrench with a crow bar connected prying against the frame no good added heat with a blow torch after getting engine up to temp, the pipe wrench handle was bending some so by this time the entire tube had broken off so we just took the egr valve off the engine with the tube so we could put a socket on it added a extension pipe and a breaker bar no good. so im get on top and like i got some room up here put the ratchet on the top of the engine added the pipe and then the breaker bar again my dad gets on the other side of the car and pulls the you hear bang look down a 1/2 ratchet handle had broken in half clean slice could not do better with a saw kind of clean and its still firmly attached and i had been spraying it with wd-40 for about 3 days any help with this i really don't want to have to pull the manifold im afraid of what else will break of i do.

Not to sound like an arse, but what direction are you turning? Post a pic. I'll go look at mine meanwhile.

I am turning it toward the fender from the underside or toward the passenger side from the top. its the same way that i turned the one at the junkyard to get that one off.

Just looking at mine, which has never seen the Midwest, Central nor North East, I'd say that without direct intervention from God, it ain't coming off.

Back