• Register Today It's free!

EGR tube vacuum leak?

ehnco

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake City, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have a '96 XLT (pushrod V-6). With both codes for system lean P0171 & P0174 both banks. Runs excellent. I cleaned the MAF, replaced the driver's side 02 sensor (it was cracked around the top where the wiring harness is attached). Started to run a little better with the new O2. Light came back on in 3 drive cycles. Both codes are still present. Last summer the EGR tube had a vacuum leak where the tube enters the intake manifold. I suspect this is still the problem area. I heard (a rumor from a mechanic friend) that Ford had redesigned the gasket for this (actually a large rubber o-ring). Anyone else hear this or have a part number? Other than a very occasional roughness/stumble at idle, it runs excellent. (107,000 miles). I plan to do a vacuum leak test this week.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you have the sohc, check to see if your truck has had the 00M12 kit installed

Is the pushrod V-6 and SOHC the same ? How do I check if it was done?

im not sure, check the eighth letter in your vin, if it is an e you have an sohc if it is an x, you have the ohv

the only way to know if it was done is if ford did it, they would have it on record

I have the OHV, eighth digit is an X....

do you know when the last time your plugs were changed?

Back