• Register Today It's free!

Electric cooling fan options?

Gabe90

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer xlt
I am looking to change my mechanical fan to electric on my 1992 Explorer XLT vin "X" and wondering what everyone has installed and how it working i am seeing options (e.g. dual fan, single large fan, single radiator with a pusher on a/c condenser, tapered shroud, flat shroud etc.) I am in Phoenix so its a lot of stop and go with temps of 120 outside and close to 200 coming off the pavement and i would really like to gain a few robbed horses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully Rick will see this and chime in, he tried using a different setup (I think it was a flex fan) on his rig and I think he had mixed results. He's in Arizona too.

The OEM-style shroud is pretty efficient, I've found. Running without the shroud is no good, at least for me. I think whatever you do I would try to mimic the size or general shape of the OEM shroud.

@Rick is running the mechanical fan again... at least that's what I remember.. I don't think I've seen anyone that was able to fit a strong enough electric fan into a 1st gen explorer to handle the Arizona heat. There seems to be more room in the 2nd Gens and people seem to be able to keep those cool with electric fans.

~Mark

Welcome to the forum. I had to ditch the electric fan and install a mechanical fan on my jeep. I upgraded the fan clutch on my aerostar van to a severe duty from a sohc. Stuck in traffic I still see coolant temps above 230 on the hottest summer days.

@Rick is running the mechanical fan again... at least that's what I remember.. I don't think I've seen anyone that was able to fit a strong enough electric fan into a 1st gen explorer to handle the Arizona heat. There seems to be more room in the 2nd Gens and people seem to be able to keep those cool with electric fans.

~Mark

This was exactly the case for me. I had a Flex a Lite "Black Magic Extreme" which could not keep up with our 100+ degree temps. In fact I still have that fan sitting on a shelf :(

I had a fan from a Lincoln Mark VII installed for a while. It worked great at first but once the junk yard fan motor went out, I'm couldn't find another 2 speed motor and kept overheating. Got tired of messing with it and went back to stock.

Back