• Register Today It's free!

Electric fan questions?

witheveryverse

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger XLT
hey everyone.. i own a 2001 Ford Ranger V6 3.0L with a few mods (xcal3, borla exhaust, MAC cold air intake, underdog pulleys, and a throttle body spacer). my next step and possibly final mod is installing an electric fan with a 180 degree thermostat. ive read sooo many posts trying to find some good suggestions for fans but can't really pinpoint a good buy. ive heard alot of talk about the flex a lite black magic 150 for around $250-$300 but i just wanted to get some opinions from you guys before i buy it. i dont offroad my truck either. so my questions are..

Average amount of airflow needed for my truck?
Is a 180 degree thermostat necessary if i get a electric fan?
Would the wiring be difficult to do for the average person?
Do i need to buy any extra parts (besides the clutch fan tool) if i buy a fan that comes with the wiring?
Price range for a "good" electric fan?

Any opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.. thanks alot :)

-Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no need for anything other than the 195 degree thermostat unless the vehicle has been tuned to run at the cooler operating temps (which IIRC Al's has been). Aside from that, go for the e-fans. You won't be disappointed.

There is no need for anything other than the 195 degree thermostat unless the vehicle has been tuned to run at the cooler operating temps (which IIRC Al's has been). Aside from that, go for the e-fans. You won't be disappointed.

No way. I run a 195 F thermostat; its best for gas mileage.

aldive did your e-fans come with an adjustable thermostat? does the 150 and the 180 relate to the thermostat or something else?

i run the zirgo 3000cfm fan and love it!!also its only around $100 and a 185 probe thermostat from advance auto
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRO...c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:1205|240:1318
2cyrvco.jpg

aldive did your e-fans come with an adjustable thermostat? does the 150 and the 180 relate to the thermostat or something else?

Yes, they both come with controllers.

The 150 and 180 are just model numbers. Has nothing to do with a thermostat.

Radiator core thickness?

gijoecam,

I noticed that you own a 98 Sport. My 2000 Sport only has a 1 inch thick single core radiator. According to the radiatorbarn website your Sport has a two row core radiator. Are you using an electric fan? If so, does it fit between the radiator and the block with the two row core?

Dale

How well does that fan perform w/o a shroud?

ive never had a problem with it.it has never over heated on me yet.ive been using zirgo fans for a couple years now with no shroud.it takes about 20 to 30 sec to get temps back down.i think the extra cfms make up for the shroud.

Back