Electrical Issues - 02' Exporer 4x4 4.6 V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Issues - 02' Exporer 4x4 4.6 V8

nsher317

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm new to the forum so please be gentle. I've spend my entire day searching through posts and haven't found anyone with the same issue.

I've had some problems with my interior lights on my 02' Explorer 4x4 v8 so I pulled the relay to test it. After finding out the relay was operational I reinstalled the relay and the harnesses under the steering wheel. This is where things went south.

I quickly learned the truck wasn't going to fire. The engine turns over with no issue and there's a spark so I've narrowed it down to the fuel pump. I've checked the relay and fuses, both operational, but no luck getting the any pressure on the line. I've even jumped the relay and I'm not getting anything from the pump.

What's really strange is after the fuel pump stopped functioning my horn isn't working except when I lock it with the key fob. I noticed a few minutes later that my tail lights stayed on continuously no matter what position the headlights were in. After disconnecting the battery for a few minutes the tail lights won't come on at all. The brake lights still work as they should.

I'm pretty sure there's an electrical issue somewhere and the fuel pump, horn and tail light are related. Whether it's a short in a line or loose ground wire I can't be sure. Has anyone seen this before or have any input on how to trace the current to the fuel pump and troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks for your advice.

Nyx

Back