electrical problems - possible short? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

electrical problems - possible short?

El Duque

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hiawatha, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
Ok, my '99 has been very reliable in the two years I've earned it, no real problems. a few days ago, I had to run out for something, and everything was fine. I then stopped off at another place, and when I got back in and tried to start it, I got nothing.

No starter click, no interior light, no dash lights; absolutely nothing. So I asked a passer-by for a jump, and I noticed that if I put the positive cable directly on the middle of the clamp, it would not spark. I had to put the cable more towards the back of the clamp to get spark.

At that point, I drove home and parked it. I then tried to start it again, nothing.

So I came out today to take a look, I wanted to test the battery. Everything worked like nothing was wrong. I tested the battery and got a little over 12 volts. I was then able to lock the car with the remote, and noticed that it went dead again.

So I have no idea what this could be. A possible short? Something with the remote lock/unlock? anyone ever have a problem like this? thanks

jeez, some "elite" forum. over one week and not one reply. What a waste of $20. Anyway, I figured it out myself, the battery clamp must have had corrosion. I used a dremel to clean everything up and it seems fine now. I guess it was just a loose or corroded connection.

jeez, some "elite" forum. over one week and not one reply. What a waste of $20. Anyway, I figured it out myself, the battery clamp must have had corrosion. I used a dremel to clean everything up and it seems fine now. I guess it was just a loose or corroded connection.

Threads get moved down as new threads/posts are posted. You could have "bumped" the thread to move it to the top of the food chain. You say you wasted the $20 membership fee. So you're saying that the forum hasn't helped you or saved you any money at all? I believe that this forum is amazing, and I also value your opinion. I guess the bottom line is that I'm glad you got it fixed. :biggthump

Back