• Register Today It's free!

Center console usb outlet

Jkuehlman

Reaction score
City, State
ISSAQUAH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 police utility, ford
I got a 14 PUI and I just took apart the factory center console they had installed and noticed the 12 v charger outlets have no wires for it and the USB one was cut. I connected the wire together but still doesn't work. Anyone have any experience with the USB outlet or 12v. I couldn't tell which ones on the fuse diagram were for it. But the ones I guessed all checked fine. Any help will be appreciated. I can post photos if needed but it's just too dark right now to do that! Thanks in advance!

Have you taken off the lower dash plate below the radio to see if the factory connector is hanging down there?

Also, be careful of live wires while checking. Sometimes the techs just cut the wires and leave them hanging.

I got a 14 PUI and I just took apart the factory center console they had installed and noticed the 12 v charger outlets have no wires for it and the USB one was cut. I connected the wire together but still doesn't work. Anyone have any experience with the USB outlet or 12v. I couldn't tell which ones on the fuse diagram were for it. But the ones I guessed all checked fine. Any help will be appreciated. I can post photos if needed but it's just too dark right now to do that! Thanks in advance!
Does your PIU have Sync (Bluetooth phone is the easiest indicator to know). If so you should be able to use the factory Mini-USB to Mini-USB cable that runs from the back of the radio to the faceplate/console.

If you don't have SYNC then there shouldn't be an existing USB port feature to tap into. You should have two 12V connectors that can be plugged into the 12v socket. When I added my retail console I just took the 12v conenctor and plugged it straight into the existing socket that was in the storage bin. My dad aslo has once of these PIUs with the lower Police portion of the center stack and his had a faceplate cutouts for both a USB and 12v, but only had a 12v socket in the faceplate, he plugged that right in to the existing connectors and it worked. USB was just an empty slot, with no port.

Easiest way for the above scenario without SYNC would be to just drill out a space in the face plat and add something like an after market USB socket from Amazon that can be run off the existing 12v wiring behind the face plate.

Back