• Register Today It's free!

Electronic Shift 4x4 help

EMG7895

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
My 4x4 is not working, I have rebuilt the shift motor, checked all fuses, and tested the 4x4 computer. On the 4x4 switches I get no lights at all, neither button does anything. It worked a few days ago but now it wont. What should I look for now?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you again checked everyhting? possibly the switch failed... how do you know the computer is good?

I dont think that the switch failed-it worked a few days ago, and it is unlikely that both switches would go at the same time. I tested the computer using the test in the service manual- remove 5 and 8 wire harness, turn key to on, press button on the computer- flashing=good, no light/solid=bad. I got a flashing light.

Does anyone know if in the switch unit are the 4hi and 4lo buttons independant of eachother? if they arent that could explain my problem

Do you hear any clicks from the rear when you push the button? I think they are connected because you have to have 4Hi pushed before you can activate 4Lo. What if you just repeatedly push the button? Chances are the shift motor got itself "lost" again however.

TPLYNCH said:
Chances are the shift motor got itself "lost" again however.

I agree w/this.

I havent heard any relay clicks but I will try again. How exactly would the motor get lost and how do I fix it?

The shift motor can get hung up between contact points and the system doesn't know where it is. If the motor and contacts are not lined up properly, then the system won't work. Read the Shift Motor Rebuild thread by Brain. Lots of pictures/explanations. The fact that you R&R'd it, it worked for a couple days then crapped out again leads me to my conclusion that the motor is lost, and it's not the switches.

Back