Stupid electronic shift 4x4

crafty_23456

Reaction score
City, State
lacrosse, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer EB
Ok,
Not too long ago my 4x4 stopped working. I assumed it was my shift motor so I asked a friend if I could borrow the one of his truck to make sure that was the problem. So i installed his shift motor on my truck, started it up and pushed the 4x4 button and nothing happened. I went and checked the 4x4 fuses and then tried the 4x4 button again, and it turned on!!!
So anyways. the next day I went out to do some 4 wheel drive testing and it worked fine, then we pulled back onto the asphalt and turned my 4x4 off. We drove about 5 minutes down the road and then pulled into another trail, I pushed the 4x4 button and it wouldnt work!!!!!
It still doesnt work!!!!
The 4x4 computer clicks when i hit the button but the light stays off.
Could it be the shift motor managed to die in one day???
Someone please help me, I'm putting on my lift and new tires friday and would like the 4x4 working!
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried a search? :) There's a million threads on here about shifter motor problems. Your answer is in there somewhere. ;)

Is the shift motor getting power?
If you take the shift motor off and apply power directly, does it rotate (details for this have been described before)?

The motor probably got "lost". Did you clean the brush contacts when you put the new motor in? Try disconnecting the battery for ~30 minutes and see if it resets itself.

Back