Electronic Supercharger

luckyfrye

Reaction score
City, State
Lemoore California
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer xlt 4x4
the who what where and why?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who buys them?

Ricer Boy Idiots on eBay.

What are they?

They are really bilge pumps, used to pump water out of boats.

Where can you find them?

eBay...of course. Or your local marine supply house....see above.

Why would you do it?

We don't know really....why WOULD you do it?...see above.

Ryan

you will lose power and fuel economy.

Don't ever think about them again, it defies the laws of physics. The only way it could ever work was if perpetual motion was possible AND you could generate extra energy from the perpetual motion. Newton's laws my man.

I call BS on Newton's laws.

There is NO reason this wouldn't work.

stenchin.jpg

Ha ha!

:D

^ of course that would work. That Stenchin' cord has to be good for 1hp per volt right there. So 110, plus some stick on fender vents, racing stripes and a fart can and you'd be unstoppable. :D lol.

In all seriousness, I had a buddy who put twin electric superchargers on his LeBaron. He flicked that switch and man those things made that car hot. Real hot. Something shorted out in his hacked up wiring to those things and caught on fire. Wish I had pictures. haha. But the only rubber burning was his serpentine belt.

That thing looks like a fire hazard... haha..

you will lose power and fuel economy.

Don't ever think about them again, it defies the laws of physics. The only way it could ever work was if perpetual motion was possible AND you could generate extra energy from the perpetual motion. Newton's laws my man.

if you paid for that education someone owes you money.

perpetual motion has nothing to do with this.......

electric superchargers work just fine.

It's about boost, pressure..ect. Not restrict, slow airflow..ect.

Our engines n/a prolly suck more air than those can push in a line.

Do people actually buy these things?

let me clairfy my point of view b4 i run off, electric superchargers pretty much suck in all ways. they require large/expensive batteries and/or capacitors to produce the wattage needed to provide enough power to make any decent amount of boost on a decent size engine. they however, could be made to be very low maintance, could one day become a very easy bolt on power up option, they would not need to be constantly active in the system, (meaning, unlike a supercharger or turbo charger, it would not draw power when not being used to produce power, and would not increase or decrease the manifold pressure when not in use).

on the other hand, converting the energy from gasoline in an engine from the gas, to the heat, to the mechanical, to the electrical, to the supercharger motor making mechanical again, then to pressure/heat/momentum in the air it then moves.......... is retarded.

turbos are whats up, the gas turns to heat and mechanical energy in the engine, the exhaust has an arseload of heat energy still unused, use it to turn a turbocharger to make boost, walla.....more power.turbocharging has the fewest energy conversions, uses a form of energy that is a byproduct and is otherwise wasted anyways, has the fewest systems to route power through meaning least material cost and most likely least maintenance, and least loss of energy. which is why turbos are the most common, and produce the most power.

but still, from an engineering/physics/science/(whatever you want to call it) point of view......this can indeed work just fine and it does not defy the laws of physics :frospecta

That's a valiant try, but I have my new sig line:

:D

J/K!!!

What about gas? Oh yeah, you see it right, there's 2 of them on there... On... a... Mustang. DOH!

THE STORY

33010010524_large.jpg

Oh wow this thread is priceless...

How would the 15second boost (as stated in the add) give the engine enough time to put enough fuel into the system? It will run way lean during thiose 15 seconds ---

Plus a thousand bucks for a 15 second boost-- Nitrous is cheaper, and turbos are way cheaper... if it was such a great technology the auto makers would be doing ing it.

My vote is total BS.

Don't be offended if you think they work-- blow past me on the street-- and I'll beleive.

We don't seem to have heard from somone who actually bought one.

Oh wow this thread is priceless...

How would the 15second boost (as stated in the add) give the engine enough time to put enough fuel into the system? It will run way lean during thiose 15 seconds ---

I'm guessing that link that Brooklynbay posted was for drag racing applications, where you could get all the benefits of having a supercharger with no parasitic losses on the drive train. I would also assume that it wouldn't be too hard to increase the fuel going to the engine when you flipped the switch for the blower. You could probably do something similar to adding a fuel nozzles to the intake runners like a wetshot of nitrous does if the ecu can't react fast enough.

if you paid for that education someone owes you money.

perpetual motion has nothing to do with this.......

I really hope you were being sarcastic or misunderstood me, especially since you spelled out what I was saying right here.

converting the energy from gasoline in an engine from the gas, to the heat, to the mechanical, to the electrical, to the supercharger motor making mechanical again, then to pressure/heat/momentum in the air it then moves.......... is retarded.

perpetual motion = an object that can produce that produce more work or energy than it consumes.

My statement was in regards to electric superchargers that are using engine power, NOT an electric supercharger using an outside power source, as one would have limited utility from a supercharger that provides only a short burst of boost and for the rest of the time restricts the movement of air into an engine (increased pumping losses) and adds weight (heavy battery, motor, supercharger).

If you REALLY think it does not defy the laws of physics, I demand proof, show me how it is possible for an electric supercharger to produce more energy than it consumes and is lost by the transmission of energy to the electric supercharger. Until then, keep your comments to yourself. Given the technology and materials available to us currently on earth, in an earth environment, it defies the laws of physics.

I really hope you were being sarcastic or misunderstood me, especially since you spelled out what I was saying right here.

perpetual motion = an object that can produce that produce more work or energy than it consumes.

My statement was in regards to electric superchargers that are using engine power, NOT an electric supercharger using an outside power source, as one would have limited utility from a supercharger that provides only a short burst of boost and for the rest of the time restricts the movement of air into an engine (increased pumping losses) and adds weight (heavy battery, motor, supercharger).

If you REALLY think it does not defy the laws of physics, I demand proof, show me how it is possible for an electric supercharger to produce more energy than it consumes and is lost by the transmission of energy to the electric supercharger. Until then, keep your comments to yourself. Given the technology and materials available to us currently on earth, in an earth environment, it defies the laws of physics.

once again, this is NOT perpectual motion, just like a typical supercharger or turbocharger are not perpetual motion. the energy to run the electric motor is coming off the engine, from an alternator, then stored in batteries, then discharged into the motor to create the boost. now, the engine would produce more power than the system needed to run because.........you guessed it(actually you probably did not) the energy for this whole process is coming from the GASOLINE, so more air + more gas = more power, it is not science fiction, it is not defying laws of physics, it is the same damn thing as all other forced induction methods, the only difference is it uses electricity.

also, if designed properly it would not add any drag to the incoming air stream, why is that? because the air intake can be designed so that flow through the supercharger is only possible when the super charger is making boost. you have a few one way valves and the engine is either running entirely n/a or when the supercharger kicks on that valve will hold against the pressure made from the super charger and the valve on that part of the intake will open up to let air flow from the charger into the system. its not that complicated, just because you do not understand the supporting principles does not mean it defies Newton's laws, and FYI, we are sooooo far past Newton's laws. catch up man. physics and engineering have come a long way, an electric supercharger is no amazing feat. the issue with it is the batteries are expensive, and there are far better ways to get the job done.

electrical requirements

I looked into electric motor driven superchargers a while back. The main obstacle I encountered was satisfying the electric power requirement. To achieve a reasonable amount of boost requires the equivalent of at least a 10 hp electric motor. Most motors of that power are designed for a supply voltage of 24 volts or more. Even at 24 volts, a 10 hp motor requires 10*745.6/24= 310 amps. The 18 hp motor trio that BrooklynBay showed probably is designed for a separate 36 volt supply requiring 18*745.6/36= 372 amps. The motors are probably only rated for intermittent duty due to heat dissipation limitations. The size of the conductor shown seems too small to be safe except for extremely brief time periods.

I considered purchasing an amusement park kart motor (24/36 volts) for an electric supercharging experiment until I calculated the power requirements and associated wiring, battery bank and charging system needs. There is a significant weight penalty compared to a belt driven or turbine driven supercharger.

boy do i know how to start an argument. still think it can be done ive looked over all the stuff on the internet and some serious flaws in there designs.

This could be combined with the regen-braking air compressor, mentioned elsewhere on HB. The tank could be refilled if required during braking, automatically topping up the pressure reserve. The only problem I forsee in this kind of power boost system, is what happens when you demand the power, and get nothing in return but the sinking feeling of impending doom, when the tank is empty, and your vision is filled by a huge truck....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Time to post David... Is this real life?

david-after-dentist-sad-hannah-youtube-300x223.jpg

Back