Engine Block Heaters

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Anyone using the engine block heaters on the new Explorers? How's it working?

I purposely bought my new Explorer in Wisconsin, so I could get this "free" option.

These are free in cold weather States like WI, MN, and a few others.

Would have cost me an approx. additional $200 in parts and probably an hour plus shop time if I bought from a Chicago dealership.

This is the cold-weather state list from a basic Google search: Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

How Nevada got in there is anyone's guess. I'll be sure to remind my wife of this the next time she wants to hit Vegas in February (which is every year).

I'm from Maryland, what engine block heaters? Never heard of it.

Suggestion for those interested in adding, either from the factory or dealer, an engine block heater. Take a look at this website, www.padheaters.com for some alternatives. I learned about this from a good friend who works in the mines in far northern Saskatchewan. They use these products on their mine vehicles and see temps much worse than we do even here in northern Minnesota.

I've put them on all my personal vehicles and they are wonderful. Put both the battery warmer and oil pan heater on the kids vehicles that sat outside every night all winter long. Not one single hesitation in starting even with temps down around -40 below and wind chills much lower than that. The pad heater is easy to install and they do a much better job in warming the entire engine block and fluids rather than just the oil the block heater sits in. And the battery warmer is icing on the cake.

Just something worth investigating if you are in one of those cold climate states! Even if the vehicle comes with the "free" engine block heater.

Back