• Register Today It's free!

engine compartment fire

biggjohnson76

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer 2WD
I have/had a 97 4.0 SOHC. I arrived home yesterday after a 6.5 mile drive. When I stopped in front of my house I noticed what I originally thought was steam coming from under the hood and around the wheel wells. When I got out I saw a flames on or around the exhaust system. These flames grew quite quickly. After the fire dept. had extinguished the blaze the fire chief and I got to looking and discovered a trail of what seems to be either ATF or Power steering fluid starting about 20 feet from where the truck caught fire.

Any one else had this kind of experience? If so what did you find was the cause? :dunno::scratch::feedback:

Good have been brake fluid. Did you have the cruise control switch recall done? If not, search for that in Industry News.

I imagine it was a total loss? :(

I haven't been able to get the hood open yet. It may have been brake fluid. No I didn't have the update performed. And, yes it is a total loss. If it wasn't a total before the fire dept. got there, they sure made sure that it was.

Brake Fluid

I recently had an ATF mishap and I can tell you it takes a lot of heat to ignite it, so I vote for brake fluid. In my case there was ATF all over the catalytic converters which were red hot...lots of white smoke but no flames.

Sorry for your loss.

Back