• Register Today It's free!

Engine Knocking

RU MAN

Reaction score
City, State
Radford/Franklin, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 BII XLT
I know it is a big problem for the older explorers out there, and that is the engine knocks. On mine it knocks when it is cold. As soon as the engine harms up it stops. I think it is the lifters, but i not sure. Has anyone got this fixed, or is it just something that I have to live with. If someone has got it fixed what is the around-about cost to fix it and is it worth it. If anyone can help please do.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm... I had engine knocking... and it was my lifter... but thats becuase I had just done a head/lifter/pushrod swap and one of the lifters was defective... so I dont know about your situation. but if you gotta do it... have all your stuff bored and polished while its out.... :)

nick

That's what I might do but, in twi years i'm going put a 302 in it. So don't know if i want to send it money when i don't need the motor for another 2 years. The motors run strong. It just knocks when it's cold. But like i said, thats money that i could put else where. But if I need to get it done then i will. The motors get 94,000 and has alot of life to go.

Ford originally wanted $400 for the six lifters when I first paid them a visit. Then I talked over the phone with another two dealerships finally catching a guy that sold them to me for $320 (almost three years ago). Anyhow, I did notice around a year ago that http://www.vanirtech.com sells the lifters for around $200 if I am correct. Labor does factor in unless you can do the job yourself. A bore and polish would have been nice, but unfortunately I was new to the Explorer scene and didn't know much. I did have them disassemble the engine and had them clean all the **** out.... the lady that owned the truck did seem acustomed to changing oil very frequently. Thank god I did it b/c I think I would have needed a rebuilf by now if they didn't clean the engine. Also, they put a high volume oil pump in at the same time, but don't know where they picked it up from... in New Jersey.

Have you tried a thinner oil? You could just have some crude in there slowing the flow, and when it heats up the oil flows better and gets to the top part of the motor. Perhaps flushing it out with something would help. I don't know if it will eliminate your problem, but it might help to pinpoint it.

Back