Engine Miss, Rough Idle At Low RPMs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Miss, Rough Idle At Low RPMs

roastdawgg

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
My X (2001 V8 5.0 AWD Distributorless Ignition) has been driving and doing great, until last night. She has 80K miles. When i started up last night to run to the grocery store, it was idling real rough, when i pulled out it was sluggish and and missing. Drove like crap the whole way to the store. When i left the store come home, a CEL came on and the truck started running great. When I got home I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and code. After reconnecting it the rough idle is back and the CEL is gone and won't come back.

The miss happens in the low RPMs between 1000-2000 rpms. 2 weeks ago i replaced spark plugs. I went to advance to borrow the code reader, hoping my CEL would come back on, it didn't. I bought a new coil pack (the engine has 2) and one at a time i hooked it up and started the truck, problem was still there, although it felt a lot better. So i returned the coil pack. I took off each spark plug boot and reseated it, problem still there. Could it be both coil packs dead? A fouled or dead spark plug?

History: 6 months ago I recevied a CEL saying that one of the banks on my coil pack was out of range. Truck still drove great. I reset the code and it never came back. 2 months ago i got another CEL, i ignored it, nothing was wrong. Light turned off after 2 days. Now this is happening. What is your opinion?

This morning, with a cold start, the truck started up and ran fine, no miss or anything. Until about 5 minutes later when it started stumbling occasionally at idle. sitting at a red light it occasionally stumbles. when i accelerate until i get above 2k it stumbles. this now feels not like a miss but a bad sensor, like MAF or TPS. anyone concur?

Back