Engine noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine noise

Wyobite

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger '98 xlt
My '98 Ranger xlt made a pinging noise at 65 mph. When I stopped and let it idle there was considerable clacking noises until I turned off the engine and started it again. I drove it at slow speeds for awhile without any noises. However, when I went back up to 65 on the highway, the pinging resumed until I slowed to about 55 mph. At 55 or less it runs without any pinging. Any ideas? With the noise it was making when I stopped, it sounded like something that I don't want to do again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil level was fine. Since it happened, I switched to the highest octane gasoline I could buy, but I am reluctant to go out on the highway not knowing if it is going to get worse. It sounded very bad at idle, but has not done it again because I have not gone over 55.

I will have to chance driving it out of town again to see if I can get it misbehave again. Trouble is the roads are all closed right now due to a snow storm. Thanks for your suggestions.

what are you doing truck? stop that!

I have an 04 explorer which wouldn't start this morning (It was 35 below where I am) Now the truck stutters when it is idling , 4 x 4 high keeps flashing on randomly as well and it stutters when reversing above thirty five kms.

Back