• Register Today It's free!

Engine Oil Cooler

justin99

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited V8
I have on 02 Limited V8 and have read plenty of post searching that people upgrade to another tranny cooler, but what about an engine oil cooler. Im sure this is a good idea. Has anyone done this and if so what kind are you using?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you monitored the oil temperature to see if you actually need one?

no, im just taking safety precautions. I figured 50-70 bucks to keep the engine cooler would be a good investment. I do alot of towing in the 4000-6000lb range.

For towing like that, the oil cooler might be a prudent addition.

Do you have plenty of tranny coolers?

I am in the process of adding a second tranny cooler, doing the research now on which one to get. I have not used the truck to tow anything big yet but will in the next couple of weeks. My main issue is what oil and tranny cooler to purchase.

I would recommend a stacked plate style tranny cooler. Take a look at the offerings from B & M.

thanks, i guess my problem was i didnt realize that the same cooler could be used for oil and transmission. so im gonna buy 2 of the same ones for what i need.

being the 02's and up have not dipstick for the tranny. how do i go about adding fluid when i add the second cooler?

thanks, i guess my problem was i didnt realize that the same cooler could be used for oil and transmission. so im gonna buy 2 of the same ones for what i need.

Oil coolers and tranny collers ( at least the good ones ) are different.

Back