• Register Today It's free!

Engine options for an 02

Vette76

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4.0L & 97 XLT 5.0L
Sorry to start 'another' thread on engine options...

I have an 02 Explorer with the 4.0L SOHC and automatic transmission. Although I have absolutely loved the way this vehicle has driven since I've owned it, once it hit 125,000 miles I have run into all the problems for this model...the transmission grenaded so we put in a new one ($2500 all in). 300 miles later the camshaft tensioner on the left bank grenaded...no warning. My local Ford dealer tells me they have only worked on THREE Explorer SOHC's in the ten years they have owned the dealership and two of them grenaded. My mechanic buddy that I take everything to damn near pissed himself when we took off the valve cover and started fishing out plastic pieces from the engine. He literally told me that he didn't have the stomach to take on the job after talking to several Ford garages and never seeing anything like this in the 25 years he has been in business.

Now I have extremely LOW expectations here. I'm wondering if there is/are ANY other engine swap option for this vehicle other than another 02 4.0L SOHC engine? (which seem to be very rare due to the problem that my engine has displayed)

I am looking for the EASIEST swap possible. Not sure if there is any other
4.0L from any other year that would bolt in with the least amount of problems. I don't care if the engine is from a much older vehicle or is the OHV design.

Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

search here

www.car-part.com

I think that your only easy option is another 4.0 SOHC engine. The last time I checked into this engine seemed that you could get a NEW crate engine from ford for around 2200 bucks. You could also contact Jasper and see what a rebuilt one costs. Jasper engines come with EVERYTHING, hoses, belt, plugs, wires, everything! but it will cost a bit more.

Thanks Edge! I was hoping you weren't going to say that. LOL! This SOHC configuration is really horrifying me. Especially what you have to go through to change out the timing chain tensioners/cassettes etc.

I'm honestly telling you that I would rather go through removing the engine and installing something different/new than trying to take on that job. Two Ford dealers in my area won't even touch the repair and the independent repair shops tell me I'm crazy when I show them all the postings on this site!

On a rebuilt engine from Jasper, or someone like Jasper would come with new timing chain tensioners/cassettes.

Wow I've never heard of a dealership not willing to take on repair work???? They need to fire their service manager and get someone in there that can make them money... As for small shops... WOW I think you should move...lol...
The re&re isn't anything special the replacing of the timing chains and guides is straight forward after that... bring it to me and I'll do it for you...

poor reputation?

I suspect that your local Ford dealer is either overly expensive or has a poor reputation. Explorers, Mountaineers, Rangers and Mustangs all came with the SOHC V6 engine. Your dealer must repair very few vehicles.

Since your dealer and your local mechanics don't seem familiar with your engine I advise against them "learning" at your expense. Besides that, it is often less expensive to replace the engine rather than perform major repairs unless you do the work yourself. Unless you plan to keep your vehicle for a lot more years it would be hard to justify the purchase of a rebuilt engine. It would cost more to purchase and have the engine installed than your vehicle will be worth when the work is completed. After all, your 2002 is 12 years old. I suggest you find a local mechanic competent to perform the engine replacement and a lower mileage engine in a salvage yard.

I had my 02' V6 SOHC seize on me recently. I was quoted between $5500-$6000 for our mechanic to install a rebuilt engine. Another car at 6k was going to have high mileage anyway so we decided to investigate it further. We found fully rebuilt engine for $2800, and with about $300-$400 extra in replacement parts, we are nearly finished with the install. To me that seems well worth it.

I put in a 2007 Mustang 4.0 in my 2004 Explorer for $800 with a $100 of misc. stuff. The replacement engine had 52,000 miles on it and better cam tensioners and did the labor myself.

better cam tensioners?

I put in a 2007 Mustang 4.0 in my 2004 Explorer for $800 with a $100 of misc. stuff. The replacement engine had 52,000 miles on it and better cam tensioners and did the labor myself.

Congratulations on your successful engine replacement! How did you determine that the cam tensioners were better. According to the Ford database the timing chain related parts for the 2002 and later Explorers are the same as for the 2005 and later Mustangs.

Back