Engine Over HeatEd and plastic Coolant tub overflowed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Over HeatEd and plastic Coolant tub overflowed.

Sniperdyer

Reaction score
City, State
New York,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 4DR
So today my truck overheated and the coolant tub overflowed and spilled out while driving. I opened it up and let it cool down, I checked the hoses and the top one was soft when squeezing but the bottom hose was hard to squeeze. After around 30 minutes I drove it back home and left it parked. Hours later I opened up radiator cap and radiator is topped off. There was no leak underneath or from water pump. Just the over flow of the coolant overflow tub. Could it be the thermostat that needs to be replaced? Any clue ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s possible. It’s also possible it has an internal head gasket leak, failed water pump, and a few other things as well.

Thank you. I'll try the thermostat first then. Any other symptoms if it's a head gasket leak?

Check the coolant for HC's.. You can buy a kit online or take it to a radiator shop and have them check. Combustion gasses will increase pressure and heat in the cooling system. Usually caused by a leaking head gasket.

Hydrocarbons. Combustion gasses getting forced into the coolant during an internal leak. Called a block test kit many places.

Back