Overflow tank empty

mkd8919

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hey Everyone,

I received my explorer from my dad about a year a go now. The other day I was filling the wiper fluid, and decided to look at the coolant as well. I checked the overflow tank and it was bone dry. I always thought it had coolant before but I believe it was just stained. At first glance it looks like it has coolant in it now. I haven't had any issues that I know of over the past year with the cooling system. The heater works well, and the temp guage is rock solid on the N in normal while warm. I feel like the overflow tank is supposed to always have a little coolant in it though, correct? How would I go about resolving this? Do I add coolant to the radiator while cold, or just add it to the overflow tank? I know both the radiator and the thermostat have been replaced and the coolant was flushed at that point, but I don't remember how long ago that was, I think about 4 years now. Also, since I've never added coolant to this before, do I need special type? Or is "green" fine? Thanks!

No special coolant is required. I usually top up the radiator when cold, then fill the overflow tank to the Cold Fill line.

Definitely stick to conventional green! It's cheaper and less problematic. :)

Back