engine pros: Have Engine Swap Question on 4 Liter Motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine pros: Have Engine Swap Question on 4 Liter Motor

burfordj

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I purchased a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport model (4 liter engine) w/ a blown engine.

If there is any mechanics or other ford explorer experts out there, I was wondering if you could direct me as to 'what' engines will fit this vehicle if I was to start looking for an engine? Is there other motors in other fords that will bolt up to this transmission, or is there another car/passenger ford engine that will fit as a direct bolt-up?

I was thinking of purchasing an older 4 Liter engine out of a 1995 Ford Explorer but I was not sure if it would bolt up becasue of the years - is there a difference in the 4 Liter engine to transmission bolt up/setup?

Thanks so much for all your help and information. Please reply here or email me at: bodyillusions@on.to if you have any helpful information that may help me decide on what engine to buy.

Much Appreciated!

Welcome
This question is discussed daily here--

I searched "engine swap"

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1463769

What you really need to do is get a complete rolled donor, the engine is the least of your worries
Park the donor next to your sport, and start swapping
wire harness-trans-transfer case-engine with front dress.

Electronics?
PCM, GEM, PATS, and Ignition switch, need to be from same vehicle---

Back