• Register Today It's free!

Engine purchase question.

Swamprabbit

Reaction score
City, State
Forrest City, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I'm new here. I have a 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 4x4 Flex fuel. Before I drop the hammer and purchase a motor I was needing a little info. The purchase motor is out of a 2008 Ford Ranger 44k miles. Is there any thing I need to watch out for. Been reading through the threads on engine swaps. I guess what I'm looking for is the go ahead. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've where some say that a E can be used where a K once was. Some say it can't. I only have till this afternoon to get the motor purchased. I'm down and using a borrowed truck.
Thanks guys.

K is flex fuel and E isn't. I don't know if the engine is different, perhaps some sensors that detect the Ethenol fuel? The computer somehow reads the fuel types and makes the proper adjustments to run properly.

Sorry, not much help.

Thanks Number4.
I've seen in a couple of threads threads that the E and the K use the same long block. I don't want to spend a $1000.00 and find out they were wrong.

the long block is exactly the same. the injectors will be different for sure and possibly the intake just swap anything that is different over to the new engine and you should be fine

It will mount up, you just need to swap a few things over from the old engine.

Thanks guys ordering the motor this mourning.

Back