engine stalls after driving for a while then.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine stalls after driving for a while then..

ozzyedd

Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post anyway i have a 1998 5.0 explorer with a 169,000 that's been running great up til now anyway after driving it around for a while it will stall out, but after approx 30 mins it will start and run again just fine for an hour or 2 then stall again, let it sit for a while then she starts right up again, i've cleaned the MAF on the air filter intake and i doubt it fuel because you can smell it after cranking for a while any help would be much appreciated ..Edd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Have you tried reading stored computer codes?

no start now

well i got it towed home today and had a few minutes to look at it, yesterday i could smell gas while cranking and it would start after approx 30 minutes of cooling off but today its a no start it just cranks over I've scanned it for codes and no codes are stored and i don't recall hearing the fuel pump running, first thing tomorrow i'll try squirting starter fluid up the intake and go from there, can someone please tell me where the fuel inertia switch and the fuel pump relay are located ? its a 5.0L V8

I used to have an '89 Chrysler New Yorker that did that, albeit it did not smell like gasoline as far as I can recall. Turned out that the fuel pump wires had a short somewhere at the pump connector and wiggling the connector would usually start the car... until one day it died completely and needed a new set of pump wires from the dealer. It was one of the MANY electronic / electrical problems that car had though. When the tranny finally went on it and it was sent to the junk yard, hardly anything electronic besides the radio worked on it anymore (and it was only like 10 years old). What a POS that FWD abomination Chrysler called a "luxury car" was, lol!

Back on topic, there should be an emergency fuel pump cutoff switch in your glove box somewhere. Maybe you should check that first and make sure it's working properly? Perhaps it's melted and stuck in the open position due to a short or something... option 2 is a bad fuel pump or fuel pump connector/wires, I'd guess.

I spent some more time on it yesterday and it looks like its the fuel pump, i can't hear it run when i turn on the ignition and fuel inertia switch has not popped up, can anyone tell me where the schrader valve is located ? i had a good look yesterday along the fuel rails and didn't see anything.

Ozzy, you will have better luck with replies if you start a thread in the sub-forum that is specific to your model year. That way the right people should see it.

Back