Engine Start/Ignition Random Failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Start/Ignition Random Failure

Emerson Diaz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hello everybody, I'm having an issue with my ignition system. I recently bought a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited, FWD 3.5 liter engine. The car was bought with a dead battery after a front collision damage which was repaired successfully, to try the engine start we used another cars battery with same configuration and amp capacity and the car started without a problem both using the push button and the remote start as well. A couple of days later the car failed to start, also tried placing the fob in the back up slot and didn't start either. We thought it was the battery that didn't have enough charge so we bought a new one, after install, no start whatsoever. Everything else works fine, a couple of hours later, the car starts with no problem. There are no Trouble Codes present, the starter motor was checked and works fine.

It has been a couple of weeks and ever since it will fail starting the car randomly and without doing anything suddenly it starts. It only came with one key fob so I don't have a way to see it's a failing fob. All other functions on the fob buttons work properly, no problem with the open and close buttons, liftgate, etc.

Could I have any ideas or tips on what could be the issue? all of a sudden the car starts so its really random.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Emerson.:wave:
Sounds like it could be a bad connection or grounding issue especially since the vehicle had front end damage.

Peter

Thanks Peterk9 for your quick reply. I forgot to mention that. The grounding was checked, at least the main ground from the battery to the cars body. Everything seems fine there. Thanks for the tip and we'll keep looking.

When you try and start it does the engine turn over and not start or it does not even turn over? If it is turning over and not starting I would check the Fuel cut off switch and make sure it is working correctly. If not turning over I would look at the natural safety switch. Easy way to do that is bump the shiftier to see if it starts or place in neutral and see if it starts.

Thanks MIarv5, it doesn’t turn over at all. It seems like there’s a faulty Starter Motor. The mechanic is getting one to make a test. I’ll let you know any news.

Thanks MIarv5, it doesn’t turn over at all. It seems like there’s a faulty Starter Motor. The mechanic is getting one to make a test. I’ll let you know any news.

Next time it happens just tap the shiftier if it starts to turn over the natural safety switch is causing you the issue. I would do this before replacing a starter. Also putting into neutral and trying will also help figure out what is going on before you buy parts.

Thanks. We tested shifting to neutral and nothing happened. Waiting on the starter but will try bumping the shifter. Will let you know what happens.

Have a great day.

Hi guys, just to let you know the starter motor was replaced and everything seems to be working fine now. Let’s hope for good. Thanks for all your tips Peter and MIarv5.

Have a good one!

Back