• Register Today It's free!

engine stopped turning

majdi

Reaction score
City, State
kitchener, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger
okay so this is the 3rd engine in 1 month, first engine blew up on the highway, changed it from the junk yard with an areostar one, put that one in , the engine ran fine, 2 weeks later second engine was gone , bent rods, the junkyard was nice enough to give me a second engine , this engine would turn over by hand when it was out , replaced rear main seal and put it in ,

the engine turned over really slowly , and it didn't seam like there was any compression, when i took out the starter to check it out , it spun fast and seemed fine , i took all the plugs out , i kept on turning the engine over , all of the sudden the engine stopped spining , and the engine didn't move at all , i can't even turn it over with a rachet with a huge pipe on the other end , it feels like the engine has something stopping it from turnning over , i dind't hear any noise when it stopped turning , it just kinda stopped

and no this is not a starter issue or battery , because i should be able to turn the engine over with a ratchet ,

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe a flywheel problem?

what do you mean ?

turns out the torque converter wasn't in all the way, i pulled the engine out today and it turned by hand like a baby, reinstalled the torque and put everything back. Tomorrow I'm going to start the engine, had some small things ( brake line broke, starter needs to be changed, down pipe has to be hooked up, some coolant)

i will let you guys know if it starts

thanks

well its running now, the truck is idling fine but so many things went wrong,

brake line broke
windshield broke
gas line started leaking
oil started spilling from the valve covers
shifter cable on the tranny broke
the exhaust manifold is leaking

fixed the brakes, fixed the gas lines, fixed the oil leak, now i have to fix the exhaust and tranny shifter.

Glad it's running and you didn't damage the trans pump from not having the torque converter installed all the way. How'd you break the windshield? Went a little too far with the engine crane? Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but I've never heard of a windshield getting busted swapping motors.

Lol sounds like a hell of a time you've had man, hope this engine is good now :D

Ive seen windshields broke changing motors.... quite a few actually.. It sucks!

well my truck is high so when i'm working on it i like to sit in the engine bay when i'm installing the upper intake manifold, i would lay down the rachet and it musta hit the windsheild, anyway the truck is running but i'm still having a problem,

so this is what happens, when the truck starts, it idles rough and engine shakes, i give it gas when its in park and engine revs up fine no problem

when i start driving it will have its full power that im used to for like 20 second than the truck will have no power i would floor the pedal and the truck wouldn't go it would maintain the rpm and not increase speed i would press harder on the peddle although its on the floor it would rev up high and shift and rev high and shift but no power, and after 3-4 min it will get its power back for like 30 seconds than were back to no power

checked vaccum leaks, replaced plugs, wires, the maf sensor was also replaced , replaced the upper intake so all the sensors that are on it were swapped i guess , i have three upper intake manifolds

still having the same problem, my last engine was hydro locked had bent rods

check engine would go on and off randomly, i can't remember but i think when it turns off or as soon as it turns off i get the power of the motor back.

engine throwing codes something like code 10 throttle snap and some other codes

please help

thanks

Check the Tranny fluid, a low level game me free reving issues.

Could be the TPS or IAC....everything plugged back in?

could also be oxygen sensors? I have no idea how to test those. wish I could be more helpful. it sounds to me a lot like a vacuum leak. even though you checked that, I still have my money there. check check and re-check sir, and best of luck to ya! :)

Back