Engine Ticking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Ticking

Boatless

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
My 96 XLT just started ticking... It started one day and I then checked the oil and it was low. I added a quart and it's back full. Could letting the oil get that low cause that? I don't think a quart is that low... It does it on and off; more so when it's cold, but it still does it when the engine is warm. I live in a cold climate (Winnipeg) so when it's cold, everything is cold. I've run it about 30 miles since adding the oil. 10w30.

Could it be a stick lifter? I really can't isloate where the noise is coming from, but it's upfront and you can hear it well at the front wheel and in the cab decently. I have only 138,000 kilometers on the vehicle.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a lifter or a pin hole in your exhaust manifold that goes away when things expand when it's hot. Put a pint of Marvel Mystery oil in with your motor and see if that helps. Once the tick is gone drain it out and fill with new oil.

"A knot is never nearly right, it's either exactly right or hopelessly wrong"

Thanks for the tip. What would Marvel Mystery do for either potential problem?

It won't help if you have a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, but it would free up a sticking lifter...

I would check your owners manual and see if it recommends a different oil for colder weather. Run the mystery oil, do an oil change fairly soon, see if you can use something like 5w30, so it will be thinner in the colder weather.

It says I can run 5w30 in temps as cool as -25 C. That's -10 or -15F. In Winnipeg we do see cooler temps from time to time.

I started it just now with a cold engine. No tick untill I put it in gear and gave it some gas. I'm leaning more towards the manifold, but I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to this stuff.

I'm going to try the oil stuff and do an oil change to 5w30 and see if that helps. If not, what's the next step for the manifold?

Cheers

My 96 XLT just started ticking... It started one day and I then checked the oil and it was low. I added a quart and it's back full. Could letting the oil get that low cause that? I don't think a quart is that low... It does it on and off; more so when it's cold, but it still does it when the engine is warm. I live in a cold climate (Winnipeg) so when it's cold, everything is cold. I've run it about 30 miles since adding the oil. 10w30.

Could it be a stick lifter? I really can't isloate where the noise is coming from, but it's upfront and you can hear it well at the front wheel and in the cab decently. I have only 138,000 kilometers on the vehicle.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys:D

well you have a 96 you have a cam shaft not lifters. but if you live in a cold part of the country you should use 5w 30 oil. its thinner.

well you have a 96 you have a cam shaft not lifters. but if you live in a cold part of the country you should use 5w 30 oil. its thinner.

Ok, I wasn't aware of that. So do all signs point to manifold then in this case?

I'm going to get the oil change done and run that marvel mystery for a day before the oil change. And switch to 5w30. So if there is a leak in the exaust manifold will that do anything detrimental to the vehicle or can I just ignore it?

I really appreciate all the feedback guys.

If it''s the gasket it will just get a little louder. To locate it have someone block the tailpipe while it's running, and you are looking in the engine compartment...

Umm... he has lifters. :)

If its a lifter sticking, you can add a quart of ATF to the engine oil a day before you change the oil and that will usually un-stick it. Drive it around all day with the ATF in it, then change the oil.

I ran the truck for about an hour last night and the ticking did go away. So when everything is warm it stops... Would a lifter be effected by engine temps?

Back