Incredible engine ticking sound | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Incredible engine ticking sound

After trying to trace the newly found like I have discovered I have ZERO coolant.

Before all this happened steam billowed out of my hood and the heater hose valve snapped in half. I replaced it with a new one and it seems fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I put the new filter on and I'm pretty sure it's gotta be a rod... it's gotten worse in the past couple of hours... loud tapping sound.

However, the extra oil/filter has had a definite effect. The "tapping/knocking" sound stops between 1000-1,500rpms... only present when accelerating/idling.

ok
hmm. I think if water was getting onto the coolant it would look like mocha milk shake. Still leaning toward an exhuast leak just because they can sound bad, and are quite common on 98.

I hate to ask this but search for "seafoam treatment"

the reason I bring this into the thread is after letting the seafoam soak in the engine is run which produces a lot of smoke. This could help show an exhuast leak.

However you mentioned a blown coolant hose with repair. Did you fill the radiator with water or did you add anti freeze?

[quote meatwad] After trying to trace the newly found like I have discovered I have ZERO coolant.

Before all this happened steam billowed out of my hood and the heater hose valve snapped in half. I replaced it with a new one and it seems fine.[/quote]

All antifreeze was completely drained. I did 50/50 and tested it for -30. I'll go grab some seafoam tomorrow. I've put about 200 miles on it with this sound.

Back