Engine water wash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine water wash

praveen

Reaction score
City, State
Qatar, Qatar
Year, Model & Trim Level
Today I took my explorer for a complete wash. The washer asked me whether I required engine wash too. He told me that water wash to engine was not advisable. They normally don't wash Ford explorer engine with water. They just blow with compressed air to remove the dust and apply some polish. He also told me that they do not give water wash to the engines of Benz and BMW etc.

Is it so? Should we not give water wash to engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done it a few times and didn't have any problems. But I tend stay away from the engine computer. I usually wash it when the engine is hot so the water evaporates quickly. Air compressor works good as well.

Don't do it. You have a 50-50 shot at getting water into an electrical connector, etc., and having issues ranging from annoying to more serious. Use simple green cleaner (or like) and a rag- no chance of issues.

jupiter- Washing when the engine is hot is NOT a good idea- cold water + hot engine can = cracked block.

If you insist on washing, use an air compressor immediately after to blow out all electrical connectors, and start the truck immediately afterwards. Then let it warm up and evaporate the water as the engine warms.

All I do is wipe parts of the engine off with a damp rag. My biggest fear is damaging one of the coils with moisture if I spray the engine.

I've used armor all tire shine to clean my engine, it worked great and I didnt have any problems. I also covered up all the stuff I didnt want to get wet/covered in tire shine. I'd reccomend doing that.

i have washed my engines compartment atleast twice. you have to take in to concideration all major electrical components. coils,plugs,etc. i use a plastic shopping bag and wrap it around electrical components to reduce the amount of water to come into contact. and also let the engine cool before doing this. the gunk engine degreaser is not bad but make sure you rinse it all off or you will smell it when your driving. i usually do the engine cleaning, rinse it off and take it for a spin to get the rest of it dry or burn off what i didnt get.

I have washed my '02 SOHC engine at least three times now. I only wash the engine when it is cold, never hot. The only component I cover up is the fuse/relay box with a bag. I then douse the entire engine bay down really good with a complete can of engine degreaser. I then thoroughly wash off the engine with the garden hose. I spray the water into every single nook and crany, including the coil pack, computer, wire harness, alternator, cruise control box, the valley on top the engine, everything but the relay box.

I have never had any ill affects. I do disconnect the battery while washing and while it is drying so that if I did get water into an electrical connector, there is no chance of anything shorting. I do let it drip dry for at least a couple hours

I do let it drip fry for at least a couple hours

Drip fry? Freudian slip? :D

I know a lot of people that wash engines, and most have no issue. I guess my thought is that it only takes once, and with my luck, it would be the time I do it.

I know two guys that chased post-wash stutters and misses after washing Taurus SHO engines for 3 weeks and 2 months, respectively.

Well.....looks like I've been lucky. For 25 years I've used the car wash wand to wash my engine (hot most of the time,) once a year, sometimes with engine cleaner. I never took too much trouble to avoid anything but the intake (and distributor on older cars,) and avoid spraying engine cleaner on outside plastic trim (stains it.) I might not do it in the future, but I probably will. Winter really messes up an engine compartment.

Back