Engine wont run right unless memory reset | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine wont run right unless memory reset

david innis

Reaction score
City, State
redwood city, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer
I have a 2002 explorer with v8 engine. It stopped running the other day. The only way to get it to run is by using my OBD scan tool to reset (erase) the error codes. It will run fine for a few minutes and then misfire and stall. Reset it again, and it runs for a few minutes again. Any Ideas? My local mechanic gave up on it, said I had to take it to a ford dealer (trying to avoid that!)

Well, what are the error codes?

Sorry, new to forums, codes would help. The codes are P0358, P0352 and P0340. They cylinder numbers change each time you reset, Thanks.

P0340 is your camshaft position sensor circuit code. Engine will not run with this code active. This most likely indicates a failure of the camshaft sensor itself.

Replace your camshaft position sensor - link to instructions on YouTube. it's done on an f150, but the 4.6L is the same v8 as the explorer. Link to part from RockAuto

If the problem persists after replacing the Camshaft Position sensor, then I would look for a bad ground on the harness for the ICM. On the 4.0, the Ignition Control Module and the camshaft position sensor are on the same harness, I think.

Back