Entertainment upgrade

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Platinum
Over the last couple of months, I have been researching and collecting needed parts to upgrade from Sync 2 to Sync 3. I got an APIM (new take off) and Screen. I also found a guy that builds pigtails to add aftermarket amp/sub. I downloaded ForScan program and elm27 adapter with switch to read both CAN's. After some soul searching, I pulled the old APIM out and installed the gps antenna, pulled the sync 2 usb hub and swapped for the sync 3 hub. unplugged the cd/changer/tuner harness and installed the sub harness. put the new APIM and screen on and held my breath. Started it up and everything booted up. Obviously some things did not work (climate controls mainly). I then turned ignition off and plugged in the elm 27 adapter and hooked up to my Dell laptop. I started Forscan and went to the module that show the APIM. You have to program the APIM to your vehicle by changing the values in all the blocks yourself, or you can pay someone to write you the changes(an option i did, found on the ForScan forum). I followed his instructions and everything works like it did with Sync 2. I also found, that you can use ForScan to program changes. I probably did not need to pay someone to write the asbuilt changes. Before putting back all the plastic covers, I ran the rca plug wires and remote switch wire to the back of the glove compartment. Then ran those all the way to the back under plastic all along the passenger side to the place i am installing the amp. I now have to run power from the battery to the amp. I used a plug in the power outlet in back to test the amp and it worked great. I almost feel i have a new vehicle..LOL. Iphone hooked up immediately to CarPlay and the response on the Capacitive Screen is super fast. I now there are companies that sell the kits for sync 2 to sync 2 for $1500.00, which was not in my budget. I spent less than 500.00 on the parts(and they are new). I will try to get some pics as soon as the power is run to the amp. By the way, I already had the amp and sub from my 2004 Explorer, so didnt have to buy that. Mine is a 2015 Explorer XLT.

Great job. When I did it on my 16 XLT is was the best upgrade ever. Felt like a new car. Enjoy it.

I went ahead and ran my power line from the battery to the amp and ran the ground wire. What a difference, the sub makes the system sound respectable now. Good enough for these 65 year old ears anywhoo.

Back