Error code 332 and 558 - bad EGR / EVR | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Error code 332 and 558 - bad EGR / EVR

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I was getting a code of 332 (EGR valve not opening) so I replaced the EGR and the EVR. Now I'm getting a code of 558 (Electrical circuit of (EVR) electronic vacuum regulator). I removed the new EVR and reinstalled my old one and got the same code so I put the new one back on. I can't blow air through vacuum ports, which, according to various web pages, implies the EVR is OK.

Are there other simple tests I can do?

The DPFE is the usual culprit in EGR problems. It can be working partly and still seem to be OK but it isn't.

My experience with those 500 solenoid codes (I'm assuming KOEO here, since my code list indicates a 558 can only be a KOEO code) is that there are 2 basic causes: a full open in the circuit or a short to ground. The circuit is a pretty basic DC circuit, so it shouldn't be too difficult to track down with a multimeter and a wiring diagram.

I haven't tinkered with a '94, but I remember using the output state test and a vacuum pump to test the EVR solenoid on my BII. When the valve is closed, the vacuum leaks off a lot slower than when the valve is opened. The stickies in the EEC-IV forum describe how to get into output state test mode.

Back