• Register Today It's free!

((Everyones opinon needed))

Big Green

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L
I have the stock head unit I recently bought 4 kicker impulse 5x7's (RMS 45watts peak 90 watts) the guy at the store told me that I needed the Pheonix Gold 300.4 amp, the only problem is it costs $350 I'd rather not pay that much. I've found other amps that I think would do great but I dont know how good they are. Please help, and if you know any other 4 channel amps for cheap that are good let me know. They are; JVC's KSAX704

Orion cobalt CS 200.4
4 x 50 @ 4 Ohm
4 x 100 @ 2 Ohm
2 x 50 & 1 x 200 @ 4 Ohm
2 x 200 @ 4 Ohm

Pioneer GM-X554,
Continuous Power (14.4V): 50Wx4 (4ohm), 60Wx4 (2ohm), 120Wx2 (4ohm)
Max Power (14.4V): 100Wx4 (4ohm), 240Wx2 (4ohm)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any of those amps will make your speakers sound great, but the Orion will be a little too powerful and might blow them. Orion seiously under rates their amps' output.

that guy just wanted to make a big profit off you. dont listen to him.

I would also say that the Orion amp would put out too much power. I don't know about JVC stuff though.

i forgot to say that i cant find the specs for the JVC model you mentioned either, but if you get the
KSA6300 it will work great. it is rated at 50X4 @4ohms

Does the Orion have built in crossovers. If it does I would go with it. If you can remove the bass from say 80 hertz and down the Kickers should have no problem with the power. If you have a sub they will be responsible for the low frequency any way.

yes the Orion does have a high pass crossover. i was thinking the same thing. but i didn't want to tell him to get the amp, and a week later he says the speakers are blown. they might be ok. but if you crank up the volume, you might kill them.

make sure to set the crossover if you get it.

Okay after an hour of searching I finally found the specs for the JVC amp now its between the JVC ($130) and the Pioneer ($170) Opinon poll again.

JVC 4-Channel Amplifier KSAX704

The KSAX704 Provides an outstanding power output of 60 watts per channel! It can also be operated in two or three channel mode. If that's not enough all of the JVC amps come with hidden connector design, low-pass/high-pass filters, optional two way output, Smart Amp System, and a regulated power supply.

Main Features
Bridgeable Amplifier (Mobile) refers to an amplifier configuration technique that combines the power output of two channels into a single channel. This is often the desired way to drive a subwoofer. Or, on a multiple-channel bridgeable amplifier, four channels can be combined to drive two speakers, producing much greater power.

Audio Features
High and Low Pass Crossovers this unit features both a high pass and a low pass crossover system. A low pass crossover allows only the frequencies below the crossover point to be amplified, important for sending only low frequencies to larger speakers, greatly improving the bass response. A high pass crossover allows only the frequencies above the crossover point to be amplified, important for sending only high frequencies to small speakers, greatly improving the imaging of the system.

Specifications
RMS Power (watts x channels) 60 watts per channel into 4 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz at no more than 0.08% THD
Input Voltage 12v
THD at Rated RMS Power (watts) 0.08%
Bridged RMS Power (watts x channels) Not Rated/Specified
Peak Power (watts x channels) 240 x 2
RMS at 2 ohms (watts x channels) 80 x 4
Signal to Noise Ratio 100 dB
Bass Boost 0-12 dB
Fuse Rating (amps) Not Specified
Dimensions 13 1/8" W x 2 1/16" H x 12 11/16" D

the JVC looks like a decent amp. nothing special, they try to make it sound awesome. any of those amps will work, but i still think the Orion might put out too much power.

I am a big fan of 3 10's the bass is much more tight than 2 12's. Hits harder. 3 rear facing 10's that are good subs with plenty of power sound great!

Back