Everything went dead when the key was turned. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Everything went dead when the key was turned.

tomboy1721

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ford Aerostar XLT conv
Just bought a 95 Ford Aeostar XLT conversion van. It had been starting fine, but went out today & opened the door. The door chime sounded as usual, but the moment that I turned the key to start it, everything went dead. There was no click, no anything. Now the door chime will not even sound,everything is completely dead. I was told that it has a brand new battery & the cables look tight & clean. What could be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the battery and battery terminals first.

Thanks for the reply. It's a new battery & the connections look clean & tight. Any other suggestions? There was no warning signs, everything went dead instantly as I turned the key. There was no clicking or anything.

ok. Did you actually take the connections off and check the terminals and also check the voltage on the battery?

Is there any electrical activity at all? Radio? headlights? etc?

Checking the battery cables is more then just making sure they're tight. Pull them and clean them. Check the other ends of the the cables also (where they attach to the starter and block).

Thank you for all the replies. Our neighbor came over & checked it for me last night. You were all correct in thinking it was related to the battery in some way. He found it to be the positive battery cable was bad. In moving it around all lights & sounds would come back, the second I turned the key again everythiing would die. I'm getting it replaced this morning. Thanks again!:)

Back