Ex 99 cylinder head sizes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ex 99 cylinder head sizes.

misho

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey guys, so I am ordering this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c4fccbe39
As my head gasket is leaking, I am replacing the heads as well.
Now the thing is, on the 96-97 explorers, the EXHAUST port on the cylinder head is 1.7 inches wide.
The EXHAUST port on the 98-00 explorers are 1.4inches wide.
Yet the ad says it fits 1995-2001.

I called the guy, and he spoke to the person that manufactures them, and he said that the cylinder head with 1.7inch exhaust ports WILL work on my 99 explorer. He said I just have to use the 1.7inch exhaust gaskets. The BOLTS also fit on the smaller exhaust ports too.

BUT now my thought is, will the 99 HEADERS work? are the headers the exact same size from the 96-00 years?
This is on a 4.0L OHV.
Another questions, are the heads the same on both sides?(ie left head, and right head)

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?? I really need to order this tonight so it can be shipped tomorow:exp:

OK so after some research, I think the 97TM heads will work with my 99 explorer.
And yea the left and right head are exactly the same.

Yes they will work but they are not the right head!!you need a 98tm head.98+ has whats called a fast burn exhaust port witch is matched for your cats! Also if your just ordering one it will not work at all.i can give you a link for the heads you really need!

People who list heads like that 95-2000 i would not buy from period! !! Many people have ran into this problem,they shouldnt be aloud to list them like this as it can cause damage to an engine if you use two different heads!!

OK, I have msged the guy CRANKYCRANKSHAFT a few days ago asking if he SHIPS to CANADA, i still havent gotten a reply!
I would order from him if he can ship to CANADA
Thats my biggest problem.. i am in canada.
the only other option are these 95-97 heads.

edit: Ill message again and see if he responds

Yep i dont like them because they were assholles to me and swore up and down there was no difference in a 95/97tm head and a 98tm heads but as you know there is.product is good,all new 98+heads

OK, I will give them a call and ask if they ship to canada and more info on the 98TM heads.

Thanks jd4242 for the input!
Any other opinions on alabama heads?
Thanks

Dont get me wrong i dont wanna give them a bad name as many people have used them and had great success,they just dont sell true 95/97tm heads the larger ports.98tms have the smaller more round ports you need

I would recommend replacing both heads at the same time...

I too have a 99 Explorer that I was going to replace the heads on and ended up replacing the shortblock due to cylinder damage I knew nothing about before I tore it apart...

Now I bought my heads from J & C Cylinder Heads http://stores.ebay.com/J-and-C-Cylinder-Head-Exchange?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I knew the difference in the heads is the exhaust port and the heads I bought have the larger 1.7" exhaust ports but if you look at the exhaust manifolds you will see they block a part of the exhaust port in the head...This is the difference in the manifolds between 97 and 99...

The pair of new heads complete from J & C was $335 without a core charge...Currently I am running these heads with the 99 manifolds but that will change later this week when I install 97 manifolds and open up the exhaust a bit... Actually the 97 exhaust manifolds flow at least 19% better than my 99 manifolds...And with over 160k on the original catalytic convertors I am replacing them as well...

After driving the truck with the new engine, I feel a restriction is in the exhaust... Whether the outlet side of the convertors are cooler than the inlet or the manifolds are restricting flow by design I plan on removing the restrictions and keeping the flow path the same size as stock but I do plan on running duals from the flange with the 2 pipes through a pair of hiflow cats to a dual in/dual out Magnaflow stainless muffler...

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 289
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 277

I too have a 99 Explorer that I was going to replace the heads on and ended up replacing the shortblock due to cylinder damage I knew nothing about before I tore it apart...

Now I bought my heads from J & C Cylinder Heads http://stores.ebay.com/J-and-C-Cylinder-Head-Exchange?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I knew the difference in the heads is the exhaust port and the heads I bought have the larger 1.7" exhaust ports but if you look at the exhaust manifolds you will see they block a part of the exhaust port in the head...This is the difference in the manifolds between 97 and 99...

The pair of new heads complete from J & C was $335 without a core charge...Currently I am running these heads with the 99 manifolds but that will change later this week when I install 97 manifolds and open up the exhaust a bit... Actually the 97 exhaust manifolds flow at least 19% better than my 99 manifolds...And with over 160k on the original catalytic convertors I am replacing them as well...

After driving the truck with the new engine, I feel a restriction is in the exhaust... Whether the outlet side of the convertors are cooler than the inlet or the manifolds are restricting flow by design I plan on removing the restrictions and keeping the flow path the same size as stock but I do plan on running duals from the flange with the 2 pipes through a pair of hiflow cats to a dual in/dual out Magnaflow stainless muffler...

you will get more power or flow from a 95 or 97tm heads but your cats will clog up soon or later.the cats are made to run with the 98tm heads.the smaller exhaust port speeds up the velocity of the gasses causing the cats to get hotter and work properly.

I have 97 explorer and i was wondering how the J&C heads worked out for you. I need new heads on mine and was just wondering the quality of J&C. And the exhaust ports on these are 1.7" right?

My J&C heads have been great...

I have 97 explorer and i was wondering how the J&C heads worked out for you. I need new heads on mine and was just wondering the quality of J&C. And the exhaust ports on these are 1.7" right?

I have put just over 20k on the new engine and heads and they have been nothing short of perfect...I have not had any issues with the heads at all since installing them...

And yes the ports are 1.7" in diameter and really like the bigger port exhaust manifolds...They may get headers in the future...

OK, I will give them a call and ask if they ship to canada and more info on the 98TM heads.

Thanks jd4242 for the input!
Any other opinions on alabama heads?
Thanks

Misho, does Alabama Cylinderhead ship to Canada? Whats the cost of shipping?

Misho, does Alabama Cylinderhead ship to Canada? Whats the cost of shipping?

Hey, yes it does ship, my heads are here

Costed $410 for the heads,
$100 for shipping

and then an extra $120(or $150, i dont remember), in UPS's nasty boarder charges.
So total about $650 + my gasket set from rock auto (felpro stuff) for another $230.

The boarder charges are so much cause of the $410 value.. If you are ordering from them, TELL alabama cylinder to put the value for like $10 and description: used auto parts..

I forgot to do it and payed the price..... of $150 in bullshit

I can take pics of the heads if you want to see them in greater detail.
I still haven't installed them cuz my car is fine now :S No air in the system lol
It fixed itself! (knock on wood)

BTW this was shipped to Ontario

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OUCH.
UPS is a *****. They love to hammer the reciever with
killer charges.

Funny, when items are shipped USPS, I dont seem to ever get charged much.

Sorry for the rant.

I think I'll wait on the heads. My leaking on the garage floor quit now that its warming up outside (odd). I can clearly see its from the head gasket though. Maybe I'll just pull the heads this summer and give them a valve job. Probably all that really has to be done anyway (At least in my case).

Back