Excessive Grease in Auto Hub ??

Brett F.

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 4x4
Not sure what area to put this in.

But as I was taking off the front tires to replace the break pads the auto hub covering came off as it always seems to do. It looked really greasy to me so I am posting pics to see if you guys think it is normal or if it may be bearing grease coming out. It was very thick almost like it was out of a grease gun.

2091099_10_full.jpg

It just seems awful excessive to me.

2091099_11_full.jpg

Thanks for direction or any help on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it worries you clean it off with gumout and give the hub a good soak in gear oil. I wouldnt worry about it too much unless you are having problems with it.

No problems at all, just making sure.

Thanks

mine looks exactly like that. I wouldnt worry at all.

Looks like mine also. Make sure the rubber seal is in the groove when you put it back on or it gets pinched and some of the grease gets out.

shamaal said:
Looks like mine also. Make sure the rubber seal is in the groove when you put it back on or it gets pinched and some of the grease gets out.

yea, that happened to me and leaked grease all over the wheel. I never take it to dealerships anymore. As much as they cost, they do a ****ty job.

It seems like everytime i take the beast to a stealership they dont fix it right, or they break something else.

Before it was mine, my mom took it in to get the AC fixed, they said it was the condensor, ~700 to replace. Then 4-5 days later, the freon leaked out, she took it back, told them she was pretty sure it was a leak, and bam, its the compressor this time. She said something to the lady about how odd it is that the AC didnt work less than a week after she got it 'fixed' and something else broke, and she just got the usual 'well its an old car, things break' bullshit.

Another time, i was replacing the front calipers, and i sucked air into the lines (wasnt keeping the master cylinder full) and i couldnt get it out no matter what, So i take it to the dealershit, and have em do the back brakes (new pads and drums) and when i get it back, two weeks later, the passenger side axel seal is leaking axle grease all over my brand new brakes. I took it back to em and told em what happened, and 'it wasnt their fault'

Theyre usually not that bad, but still, its annoying and a waste of money.

I thought having grease in the hub is what causes them to go out?

Jason94sport said:
I thought having grease in the hub is what causes them to go out?

I thought that too

mine just had a very thin coating of grease over all the bits inside it....

no where near as much as yours has

If its a light coating of grease, you can get away with it.. Normally you just soak them in ATF.. IF you have too much resistance in the hub it will lock/unlock when you don't want it to.

~Mark

Back