Exhaust Manifold Gasket noise leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Manifold Gasket noise leak

the 4.6L and 5.4L are notorious for warping exhaust manifolds and breaking studs off in the head. either machine the already warped manifold or put headers on. if you put a new manifold on it will just warp again and cause the same issue while the already warped has been hot cold hot cold and done all its warping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not think there are headers for Explorer 4.6 3v application, it would be nice thou.

great... yup.. guess who has this problem...

<<<<---- This Guy... :rolleyes:

Guess its time to goto the dealer and get it fixed as many time while under warranty lol

maybe ill just ask them to give me the parts and then ill sell them and use the money to get headers somehow... lol yea.. like that will work .

But maybe some mustangs headers might fit with some modding...

I thought about same thing: Mustang headers. I do not want install new stock manifolds to have same problem in short time.

I just had this fixed on my 06 Limited. It did exactly as described...exhaust manifold on the pass side warped...would cause ticking sound until engine warmed up and then the ticking would fade...it broke a stud in the process.

I had it replaced under an extended warrenty...but the dealer conceded it's a bad design and will probably happen again....hopefully while I'm still under warrenty.

Good news...no more ticking at all, engine sounds completely normal on start up.

Ugh... i think i need to get my ford dealer some hearing aids...

Dropped my truck off to have this problem fixed this morning they called me back twice saying they cant hear the problem or see signs of it.

Im like its very loud after its been running then let it sit for 20-30min to let the head/manifold cool down at different rates then start it up and you will hear it. I hear it over my new Gibson exhaust every day.

Then there like well we cant see any black soot around it at all. IM like this just started getting bad the past month and if i have that much Carbon in a month of driving then theirs problems with the motor....

iv only got 10K miles and about a year left on the factory warranty so i will make them fix this one way or another....

Yay. After spending an hour there Teaching the manager and tech something they finally heard the leak. Ay least I got a loaner while they have my truck. Ford fiesta. It's ok. Small but handles well lol.

Let's hope this stays leak free until I hope someone makes headers.

Anyone try to get this fixed under the 8/80?

I'm at 76k and its happening now. Not sure if this is something I can do myself.

Mine is broken at 86,000 miles, not covered under 80,000 mile warranty..:thumbdwn: ~$750....Sounds like a lifter tap, then goes away...There goes the reenlistment bonus:salute:

I just had this fixed on my 06 Limited. It did exactly as described...exhaust manifold on the pass side warped...would cause ticking sound until engine warmed up and then the ticking would fade...it broke a stud in the process.

I had it replaced under an extended warrenty...but the dealer conceded it's a bad design and will probably happen again....hopefully while I'm still under warrenty.

Good news...no more ticking at all, engine sounds completely normal on start up.

Which extended warranty do you have, mine does not cover it.:(

Back