Exhaust pressure / Starting issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust pressure / Starting issue?

PStansberry78

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XL
Is it possible for a starting issue to be caused by a change in the exhaust system? I recently had the exhaust on my 93 XL replaced. Cut everything from the headers back off and new pipe welded in. This included losing the cat entirely as it needed to be replaced and I've always just had it cut off on previous trucks to improve flow, never with any side effects on previous vehicles.

The truck runs fine and sounds great now... But it's developed an issue starting. Never actually fails to start, but it cranks much longer and inconsistently than it used to. My brother-in-law said the change and reduction in back pressure from losing the cat is likely the cause.

Does that make sense?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I've had vehicles with no exhaust system on them fire right up. I would check other things before I blame the exhaust.

It sounded weird to me, too. But the timing was awfully coincidental. It seems more like a starter going out to me.

Have you checked to make sure no wires are contacting the new exhaust? Wires grounding out could possibly mess with the way it starts. All ground wires still where they belong? One possibly knocked off or broken when exhaust installed?? And maybe like you said starter going out. Probably not if it cranks good, tho. Arne.

Back